Will a 32×14 slick fit in a Mini tubbed 70 dart?

-

MOPARMAGA

" The other hard member"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has fit that big of slick in a Mini tub ? or will that size require a full tub back half frame?
I do intend on doing 68 dart s/s wheel well openings and will not be using leaf springs
Pictures would be great,
Thank you & Happy New Year

No pics.
About 35 years ago I built a '69 Dart to run NHRA Super Street. It was back-halved with full wheel tubs and the rear fenderwell openings stretched 4" in order to stuff that size slick underneath...and yeah, the 8.75 rearend was narrowed a bunch.

No pics.
About 35 years ago I built a '69 Dart to run NHRA Super Street. It was back-halved with full wheel tubs and the rear fenderwell openings stretched 4" in order to stuff that size slick underneath...and yeah, the 8.75 rearend was narrowed a bunch.
Okay thanks for the info, I figured that's a huge tire when a 28 inch only has a little wiggle room

I don't think a 14×32 will fit with just a mini tub. I had a 72 Duster, that I installed tubs in, but had the stock frame. Leaf springs moved inside the frame rails, with a a body 8 3/4 rear. Had 13 × 31 Firestone slicks on it. My 70 Dart I installed new frame rails and ladder bars and had a 14×33 slick on it
20191107_203458.jpg

I don't think a 14×32 will fit with just a mini tub. I had a 72 Duster, that I installed tubs in, but had the stock frame. Leaf springs moved inside the frame rails, with a a body 8 3/4 rear. Had 13 × 31 Firestone slicks on it. My 70 Dart I installed new frame rails and ladder bars and had a 14×33 slick on it View attachment 1715661185

I have a 67 notch back Cuda. I narrowed the rear end 2" and did a mini tub. I have 12" wide tires and they fit great

I don't think a 14×32 will fit with just a mini tub. I had a 72 Duster, that I installed tubs in, but had the stock frame. Leaf springs moved inside the frame rails, with a a body 8 3/4 rear. Had 13 × 31 Firestone slicks on it. My 70 Dart I installed new frame rails and ladder bars and had a 14×33 slick on it View attachment 1715661185
Damn now that's how I'd like my 70 dart to look, I think installing tubs and leaving the factory frame location might be my answer, I have a Dana 60 with 4.88 gears already set up so I'm definitely trying to get as tall as possible & still might go down to 4.56 But I'll take her down the track a few times first to see how loud shes screaming at 1320

I mini tubed a 70 Dart and moved the leafs under the frame rail. I could fit an N50 15 for street duty and 28x12 slicks for the track. I had to modify the bottom of the front wheel well opening so the N50 15 would not rub. If I had the perfect wheel offset I could have had a little more outside clearance and may have been able to avoid that slight modification.

pick your wheels first and work the housing width afterwards to get the right clearances.

I have a 67 notch back Cuda. I narrowed the rear end 2" and did a mini tub. I have 12" wide tires and they fit great

My '69 fastback was b/halved, 2 x 3 chassis, 8.3/4" narrowed 2" either end with 12x15 s/tricks 14x32's, perfect fit.

Just wondering if anyone has fit that big of slick in a Mini tub ? or will that size require a full tub back half frame?
I do intend on doing 68 dart s/s wheel well openings and will not be using leaf springs
Pictures would be great,
Thank you & Happy New Year
I have that size slick on my 68 dart. No they will not fit with a mini tub. You will have to back halve the car.

I have that size slick on my 68 dart. No they will not fit with a mini tub. You will have to back halve the car.
Thank you. What did you use to back half the car?

I mini tubed a 70 Dart and moved the leafs under the frame rail. I could fit an N50 15 for street duty and 28x12 slicks for the track. I had to modify the bottom of the front wheel well opening so the N50 15 would not rub. If I had the perfect wheel offset I could have had a little more outside clearance and may have been able to avoid that slight modification.

pick your wheels first and work the housing width afterwards to get the right clearances.
Thank you

I used 2x3 .125 wall square tubing, a summit racing aluminum assemble yourself wheel tub kit 40 inch diameter.
Fabricated mopar performance style inboard leaf spring boxes and 002,003 super stock springs. May update to Caltracs.
Narrowed 83/4 axle 45 3/16 flange to flange.
Did it all like 25 years ago lol. I recently updated the trunk area with new bead rolled aluminum powder coated panels and a smaller 3 gallon aluminum anodized and powder coated fuel cell.

Last edited:
Also I forgot to say that I had to take about 3-4 inches of the front of the rear quarter panels to clear the diameter of the slicks.
I did not want to change the wheelbase and I did not want to cut the rear quarters like the super stockers do. I wanted the tire to sit under the quarters and still look like a dart.
The draw back to this is that it is a pita to take the slicks off requiring the back of the car be lifted up quite high and the rear shackles to be undun to allow the rear axle to hang down low enough to clear the tires. But the look was worth it to me.

Also I forgot to say that I had to take about 3-4 inches of the front of the rear quarter panels to clear the diameter of the slicks.
I did not want to change the wheelbase and I did not want to cut the rear quarters like the super stockers do. I wanted the tire to sit under the quarters and still look like a dart.
The draw back to this is that it is a pita to take the slicks off requiring the back of the car be lifted up quite high and the rear shackles to be undun to allow the rear axle to hang down low enough to clear the tires. But the look was worth it to me.
Cool thank you for that info

This is a picture of my Duster, stock frame rails, stock length A body 8 3/4 rear, Monocoque wheels, 13x31 slick.
20191101_190757.jpg

This is what my Dart looked like when I bought it. It had been mini tubed with the springs moved in. IIRC these were 32x14x15, maybe 31's and they rubbed real bad. I sold the wheels and tires a few years ago. My car only has 14" space max in the tub.

DCP_0011.JPG

DCP_0068.JPG

This is a picture of my Duster, stock frame rails, stock length A body 8 3/4 rear, Monocoque wheels, 13x31 slick.View attachment 1715662237
Very nice. Yes, im thinking I may just do a 31×12 tire & keep stock frame rails. That looks good. Probably more period correct for a 70 (not that I care about that) but it will save me some time & money back halfing the car, if worse comes to worse ill re gear my Dana. But still think a tall tire is in order running a 727 , ladder bars, 2 step & trans brake.

This is what my Dart looked like when I bought it. It had been mini tubed with the springs moved in. IIRC these were 32x14x15, maybe 31's and they rubbed real bad. I sold the wheels and tires a few years ago. My car only has 14" space max in the tub.

View attachment 1715662262

View attachment 1715662263
Oh okay thanks 14 inch total, yeah no way a 32×14 fits in a minitub, the section width is more like 16-17 wide on a 32×14

By the way your amx is super badass

Did you stretch the wheel well on this ?
I think if I can remember, I moved the rear back 1" and trimmed and rolled the front wheel opening to fit the slicks. I did not stretch the wheel well. I got a good deal on the complete rear and wheels, that came out of my buddies 68 Barracuda. And made them work in my Duster

-
Back