Will a 360 with a stock car pan fit an early A body?

-

krazykuda

FABO Gold Member
How-To Section Editor
Reaction score
I made a how-to thread on identifying a SB oil pan. Someone has posted and asked what pan they need to run a 360 in an early A-body (specifically a 66 Valiant).

Has anybody installed a 360 in a 64-66 a-body and did the standard car 360 pan fit?

If not, what did you use?

I know from when we rebuilt my ex's slant 6 for her 64 Dart, that there are many different oil pans for a slant, and not all of them will work in an early A-body. Some of them have dimples in them for steering linkage clearances. The later oil pans for the slant won't work in the early A.

I'm also interested in the answer as I have a 66 Valiant Wagon that I'm swapping a 360 in myself as a future project. Granted we are going to run the V-8 center link.

I also know another member on this forum that is going to put a 360 into an early A-body also.

Thanks for any replies.

If a 318 center sump pan will fit...a 360 center sump pan will fit.....only difference in the 2 is the rear pan seal..

If a 318 center sump pan will fit...a 360 center sump pan will fit.....only difference in the 2 is the rear pan seal..

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that's what I was thinking, but technically the 318 wasn't offered in an early A, only the 273. The LA 318 started in 67/68 and therefore was not put in an early A-body. Is there any difference in the early 273 pan (specifically 64-66) than with the 318 pan.

I know from experience that it makes a difference on the slant 6 pan. The later pans will not fit the early a-body as the steering linkages will interfere with the oil pan. The early pans had more dimples so they didn't interfere/limit the steering linkages.

That's why I'm asking if anyone who has installed a 360 into an early a has had any problems, or did it drop right in. I'm thinking and hoping that it will just drop in. I would like to hear from people who have done it, if it worked or what they did to make it fit to be sure.

It sounds like the pan will need to be dimpled to fit the steering linkages.

Does anybody have a handy 64-66 273 oil pan that they can take pictures of so we can look for any dimples that are different than on the 360?

I dropped a 1977 360(car) engine/Trans with Schumacher mounts in my 66 Dart.With the 6 cyl centre link it just touched the pan slightly.I shimmed the mounts for clearance,til I got the V8 Center link.I never dented/dimpled the pan ever for clearance.:wack:

I dropped a 1977 360(car) engine/Trans with Schumacher mounts in my 66 Dart.With the 6 cyl centre link it just touched the pan slightly.I shimmed the mounts for clearance,til I got the V8 Center link.I never dented/dimpled the pan ever for clearance.:wack:

Thanks, that's what we were lookin for... :D

I did the same as Scott on my 65 Valiant, but I didn't even have to shim for the center link. In fact, at the time, I wasn't even aware there was a different center link for the V8.

I put a 360 in my 66 Valiant using the original 273 mounts and no interference problems at all. When I installed the 727 tranny I had to flatten out the lower firewall pinch seam slightly for clearance.

-
Back