will B or C body 8-3/4 fit under a 73 duster

-

ecshaeffer

Reaction score
im looking for a 8-3/4 rearend and found a B and C body rearend will either one work under a 73 duster?

Last edited:
Are you asking? Question marks, man....
The B body axle works as long as it is from a 1965-1970 model. The leaf spring mounts on the axle need to be moved in toward the center 1/2" each side. The center to center needs to be 43" for ALL A body cars.

65-67 B rear is the best to use.

68-70 would be next up

C body, are way too long/wide.

I had a C-body rear end shortened for my 68. I had the perches welded at 42" centers and used Dr Diff hangers and axles. Even with the cost of shortening and custom axles, I've got less into it then what stock A-body units are selling for.

65-70 covers 3 different widths for B body axles, and they vary by a decent amount.

I use a 68-70 B body 8 3/4 in my '74. How easy it is depends on the rims and tires you're running. If you're running stock wheels it's fine, you can run up to a 225/60/15 on 15x7's with 4.25" of backspace. If you're going to run 17's or 18's out back it's even better than running an A-body 8 3/4, most of the off the shelf offsets will work just fine. The only real issue that comes up is running 15's with a really wide tire. Once you go back 15x8 it gets hard to find enough backspacing with off the shelf rims to deal with the wider rear axle, the '65-'67 B body rear would be a better choice if you want a meaty set of tires on 15" rims.

C-body depends on the year, a 65-69 C-body 8 3/4 would probably be possible but it's not a good idea. You'd need a lot of backspacing. The later C-body 8 3/4's would be a bad idea unless you're planning on having them shortened.

Here are the dimensions of all the various mopar 8 3/4's. All of them will require the perches to be moved.

An accurate 8 3/4" rear axle width list

-
Back