scott657

Reaction score
68 Valiant
7-1/4 Rear
Cragar SS Rim 15X7 4.125 BS
1" wheel adapter 4 to 4.5
235/60/15
If not what will fit with the 1" thick adapter
Im sure someone has tried this before :)

Wheel adapters = No Buenos
Find wheels for your small bolt pattern. Much safer.

There is nothing wrong with QUALITY wheels adapters or spacers for that matter. Dually trucks run them from the factory. I run both and have for years among many other people.

Wheeladapter.com is good as is motosport tech

I agree, nothing wrong with quality wheel adaptors or spacers. For adaptors that usually means at least 1" thick (minimum 3/4") and made from billet, not cast aluminum. Those little cast jobbies they made back in the day that go from 5x4" to 5x4.5" are bad news. And preferably hub-centric if possible. Yes, I have seen billet adaptors that have failed. You still have to make sure they're torqued properly, especially when they're first installed. That means taking the wheel off and torquing the adaptor lugs to spec a couple times over the course of a few hundred miles (just like new aluminum wheels are supposed to be!). Like anything else if not used properly they can fail.

Like these. Nothing wrong with using an adaptor like this IF you have the backspace to allow it and you torque them properly and follow up
s-l1600 (2).jpg

NOT THIS. This is death on a stick. I've seen all kinds of these that have cracked. Doesn't matter if you do it right, these are a time bomb.
853529c8-5c69-11e6-883e-bc764e100d45.jpg

As for the OP's original question, no, I don't see that working. Without the spacer the backspace would be about right for that tire, maybe already on the shallow side but workable. With the spacer there's no way those will fit, you'll be 3/4" outside the quarter.

If you're going to troll down the list and click disagree with a couple of guys who certainly have some experience with this I'd like to hear your argument.

If you're going to troll down the list and click disagree with a couple of guys who certainly have some experience with this I'd like to hear your argument.

Some people just like to do things right, others like band aids.
I prefer doing things right.
Pretty simple.

I know about the correct wheels l was trying to plan for a future rear end change.

Pretty simple.

It really isn't that simple all the time. My Volvo runs corvette wheels and the spindles cant' be re-drilled that big. How do you correct that problem correctly?

In the world of Abody's yes, the most correct and ideal way to run wheels is a 4.5" conversion. I did this on all of my cars. So I agree with you.

I run spacers on my dart to get the perfect offset which is NOT available with wheels alone. Trust me every mm counts with my car. They are that tight.

Factory duallys run spacers so my point is there is nothing wrong with using a quality spacer/adapter. The good ones aren't cheap either. 300+ dollars a set.

To get those 235s on your '68 with the 7" wheel you need about 4.50" back spacing. A 4.125" back space wheel with a 1" spacer is equal to a 3.125" back space wheel. It will not work.

Pretty simple.

HA! Like that has anything to do with it.

A wheel adaptor isn't "right" or "wrong". It's a piece of metal. It bolts to your existing wheel studs, and carries another set of wheel studs to bolt your rim to. As long as the metal that the adaptor is made from is strong enough to carry the forces placed on the studs, it just widens the track width and possibly changes the bolt pattern. That's it. Wheel adaptors are run on all kinds of applications, and as roccodart440 pointed out they're used by default on all dually applications. There's nothing inherently "wrong" about them, so not using them isn't "right".

If you use quality parts and torque them as specified, there's no issue. I prefer to have my wheels fit without adaptors simply because I don't have to bother to check the torque on another set of lugs that happens to require taking my wheels off to access, but that doesn't make using them wrong or unsafe.

Pretty simple.

There is a difference between doing things right or doing things smart.
If someone drives their classic car 3X a month,doesnt drag race it and dont want or have the money to waste on rims and tires. Just to do the right thing. And have to resell SBP
wheels that nobody wants when your finally finished with Disc brake/Rearend conversion.

as long as the newer rear end (including brakes) is wider then the one you have now, you can divided the difference in track between the two and use adapters

BUT i dont know if it is or not

-
Back