Will my drivetrain handle the horsepower?

-

Belchfire

Reaction score
I need to make a decision with your input. Right now I have a '75 Duster 318 with A904(rebuilt with B&M shift kit and 3000 stall)and an 8 1/4 rebuilt rear with 3.55 SureGrip. Running approx. 300 hp plus 100 shot NOS good for 13.6 @ 102. Do you think the tranny and rearend will hold up with another 75 hp added? I only race for fun at the local strip, have factory A/C, ps and pb. Have also added frame connectors, XHD springs, and big block torsion bars. Took it on the Hot Rod Power Tour last year with no problems. I don't want to replace the tranny and rearend so would have no problem leaving things as they are, but you know how the need for speed hits you. So the survey would be to find out the prevalent opinion for adding more hp(via new heads) without having to replace tranny and rearend. Will they hold or not? Thanks.

I wouldn't go any higher than you are right now. Mainly because Nitrous is so hard on components. It's not like a normal engine that the hp comes up gradually. It slams right there. Unless your running forged pistons you might very well lay them on the track with a 175 shot before the trans. or rearend goes. Torque and traction are the trans. and rearend's worst enemy so if you don't hook real good the extra 75 shot probably won't affect them nearly as much as the engine. If your running sticky tires I bet it wouldn't last long at all at 175 shot. JMHO

You're at the tranny's limit now in stock form. The rear could take it with limited racing and street tires.

Guess I should mention that I would keep the NOS shot at 100 hp, and I am running Keith Black forged pistons. I am just wanting to add better heads than the stock 318 heads I now have on(except for the 3 angle valve job they're stock). I'm looking at the heart shaped combustion chamber heads from the late 80's with 1.88/ 1.60 valves and roller rockers to add the extra horses, everything else would stay as is. I do run MT cheater slicks at the track but just BFG TA's on the street.

-
Back