Will Rod swap require balancing?

-
been there, done that, wont do it again......
DSC00658.JPG

Even stock J heads will outpump 383 heads. Add a cam and headers and a 360 will be way up from a 383 with actual headers that fit. I think an LA/Magnum is a much better fit than a B in an A.

I've had both. Not even a contest, 383 wins.

Stock vs stock 383's have more power. with a little bit of work 360's will out run a 383. J head out performing 383's no way. SB head will need work. For me it comes down to instillation, A body SB is the way to go. 500+ hp...gotta go BB.

Considering hundreds of millions of production engines came off the assembly line with not much more than a simple balance job and lived happily ever after I vote for the bushed rods and no balance job.

Replacing stock rods with SIR rods is going backwards.

What happened to that ignition box???? That’s a HyFire V box. You don’t see those very often.
its still hanging on the wall. Old Model 690. Its as big as a lunch box. That model has been NA since about 1980, the new 690 is half the height, "modern components inside" makes sense when they can put entire control boards on a chip now.

its still hanging on the wall. Old Model 690. Its as big as a lunch box. That model has been NA since about 1980, the new 690 is half the height, "modern components inside" makes sense when they can put entire control boards on a chip now.

LOL...have one on the shelf and it works. In fact, I tested it against an analog MSD 6 and the Mallory kicked its ***. Wasn’t even close.

I keep it around because I might use it on my car some day just to piss people off.

That new 690 box is just an MSD 6 with a Mallory sticker on it. I pass on that stuff.

I loved a lot of what Mallory had, preferring it over MSD. I had a Mallory Hyfire 6C for at least 15 years on my Dart with no issues except for a connector getting pushed out. Then Holley/MSD bought them and killed the brand.

The engine is a 1973 cast year 318. Upon further inspection the rod and piston assembly that I pulled out have the part number 3418645. The rod set that I planned on using that have the bushing for a free floating wrist pin have the same part number 3418645. The original rods with a pressed pin have a back number of DF116 also MS 304. The ones with the free floating wrist pin say DF56 as well as MS 304. Are these in terms the same Rod other than one being a pressed pin and the other being bushed for a free-floating pan?
The Piston set I am using are stock style sealed power cast pistons.
The engine has a will have a hughes whiplash cam and will not see constant 5000+ RPM its a daily/street car.

View attachment 1715694713 View attachment 1715694717 View attachment 1715694718

View attachment 1715694719

View attachment 1715694726
i bought these for the 340 i'm rebuilding but i'm insane stock rods are most probably good enough for a few hundred more i went all out
Hughes Engines

In reference to whether you need to balance. IT IS APART NOW. Now is the time to do it. If you get it all together now and find out later that you should have balanced it, how mad will you be!

-
Back