Will this 4 speed bolt to a MP bell housing ?

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Creed has an opportunity to pick this trans up.:happy2:
It came out of a 69 Nova and is ready to bolt up to a bell housing for our 360.
My question is will This Sagenaw "how ever you spell it" Bolt up to a small block mopar bell housing ??
Again I thank all the great tech's here for all the help we have received :thumbrig:

Pictures 8-)

Attachments

• Axle bearing change 060.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 197
  • Axle bearing change 061.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 195
  • Axle bearing change 062.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 205
  • Axle bearing change 063.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 190
I'm not aware of any bellhousings that would make it fit a mopar. Aside from bolt pattern I think the input shaft is too short.

Sell it quick. I don't know why anyone would try to put a Saginaw into a Mopar

A quote from this article:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/60978_transmission_swapping_tech/index.html
====================================================
"The Saginaw four-speed is essentially a cast-iron three-speed design with an extra gear designed for applications under 300 hp. If you run across a Saginaw, let it go."

Saginaws are weak.

The Muncie was better, nowhere near as tough as a New Process (Mopar) 833

Thank you ALL for the info, It came out of the 69 Nova because he wanted a taller gear and keeping the factory 14'' wheels on it to do some HWY driving.
It told him I would put it on E-Bay for him, but Creed is looking for one to go in his dirt track Mopar , even a three speed will work for him.
I wanted to make sure it would or would not work, I learn so much here at this great site , Thank you all again for your time on this :D:thumbup:

Sell it quick. I don't know why anyone would try to put a Saginaw into a Mopar

A quote from this article:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/60978_transmission_swapping_tech/index.html
"The Saginaw four-speed is essentially a cast-iron three-speed design with an extra gear designed for applications under 300 hp. If you run across a Saginaw, let it go."
I don't ether now that I have seen this thread, I learn here and thank you very much 67Dart273 :thumbup: It just came up today :icon_smi:

Hey guys im not having much luck finding a mopar three or four speed that i can afford. I do have a muncie and wonder if and one has ever put one on a small block mopar.

The first thing to check are the "Dead Lengths"

From the face to the end of the input shaft, length of active spline and it's position from the face, the length of the throw out support sleeve,etc.

I noticed that the Mopar manual trans has rather long dead lengths.

The only trans I have seen that "may" compare is a Borg Warner Super T-10.........

out of a AMX with a 390 in it.

Or a set up like that.

The Saginaw was not a real good transmission. It was put in smog era applications. I wouldn't even think about a Muncie in a Mopar let alone a Saginaw. Just bide your time Mike.....yall will find somethin.

I really appreciate it and I think we will keep shopping for a mopar cause I really dont want to cross breed!! So if anyone comes across one let us know.. Thanks

-
Back