Will this generator work for my welder?

-

Bobacuda

Reaction score
The welder is a Hobart 190, 220V, usually used in MIG mode with shielding gas. I was recently given a Champion Generator (7000 peak watts, 6000 running watts).
upload_2021-7-28_17-27-24.jpeg

So, is this generator sufficient to run my welder?

It's less than I would want to see however someone else who can probably nail it for you will chime in.....

If I were to run it my power lead would be extremely short...

JW

The welder is a Hobart 190, 220V, usually used in MIG mode with shielding gas. I was recently given a Champion Generator (7000 peak watts, 6000 running watts).View attachment 1715772620
So, is this generator sufficient to run my welder?
Post a pic of the tag on the welder.
You have 25 amps @ 240 volts to work with. But if you run the generator at full rating for very long it will fry.

A welder by nature in the hands of "us" is almost always a low duty cycle device, IE most of us are not welding pipeline or ships decking. I'm gonna say "with reasonable use" it ought to work fine "by the numbers." However ALL modern "ratings" need to be taken with a grain of salt. Just because some yayhoo prints up a label with X watts or Y amps does not mean that is "accurate."

I would think for the average guy doing average welding this would work OK. Keep power cord run to a minimum and oversize the power cord, certainly not smaller than no10

30% duty cycle. The catalog I looked at didn't state the AC power requirements. My Miller suitcase MIG at work liked a 30amp and a fat power cord on 110v.

Always make sure the welder is off before starting & shutting down the genset if you start the genny with the welder plugged in it can go bang

I was using a champion generator with my esab emp215 rebel, ended up with a different generator,6000 watts. I use it all summer in my quonset where there is no 220.i never tried it on 110.
Mig and arc welding havent been an issue, 3 years using it with generator.

This is the Hobart 190

GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS
Title Handler® 190 MIG Welder
Industries Interests Construction
Auto Repair
DIY / Home Hobbyist
Maintenance and Repair - In Plant
Maintenance and Repair - Field Operations
Material Thickness Mild Steel 24 ga. (0.8 mm) - 5/16 in.
Weldable Metals Aluminum
Stainless Steel
Steel
Input Voltage 220/230/240 V
Input Phase 1-Phase
Current Type DC
Rated Output 30% @ 130A
Amperage Range Amperage Min Max 25 A - 190 A

-
Back