Will this parts combination work for a magnum swap?

-

Eworth

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me if the following combination of Parts would work for a swap into a 1964 Dodge Dart?

1995 Dodge Ram 2 wheel drive automatic transmission and complete wiring harness that had a 5.2 Magnum. And use a 5.9 magnum from a 1996 Dodge Ram that had four wheel drive.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you all can offer.

Will it all just drop in..NO...Can you make it work Yes..

46rh trans with overdrive will need to have trans tunnel cut and widen to fit it...and new trans cross member needs to be fabricated.

Okay, good to know. And so the 1995 transmission and the 1996 engine will mate together and work with the 1995 wiring harness?

It should, some plug in ends or sensor ends may have changed from 95 360 to a 96, but its easy enough to change a sensor to the 95 version. As far as running the 5.9 with a 5.2 computer, that one I cant answer for sure.

i want to say 96 was the first year for obd 2, but i could be wrong. somewhere in the mix they jumped the fuel pressure up to 49psi and did away with the egr. dave.

1996 was the first full year for OBDII. However on some applications (such as Ford), it began in the second half of 1995.

oh, and by the way. easy rider is running a 5.2 comp on his 5.9, and says it actually runs better than the 5.9 comp. dave.

I have a mopar performance PCM for a 5.2 running perfectly fine for years in my 94 ram with a 5.9. Me and my dad just put a 98 5.9 engine into his 95 ram that had a 5.2. It runs fine, however the sensors were quite different from his 95 harness to the 98 sensors. So we just transferred all of the sensors from his 5.2 onto the 5.9. It all worked out great and he has my stock 2wd 5.2 PCM running his 5.9 4wd truck.

I've been wanting to try and swap a 96+ OBD2 harness on my 94 ram, so I would be able to use a flash programmer. The mopar performance PCM isn't much of an improvement over stock.

Use the LA 4-piece gaskets on the Magnum block with an aftermarket LA oil pan. I believe some 5.2 pans are shaped differently too.

10-4. I appreciate the info. Deciding whether to pull the trigger on this or just wait for a 92-95 2wd and have most all I need in one truck instead of buying two to scavenge all the parts

5.9 and 5.2 are balanced different, keep this in mind.

Ya. That's it. I'm better off waiting for the right donor truck instead of trying to piece it together from several.

'96 is OBD-II. I think '96 and '92-'5 share a lot of sensors. There's a lot of 1 year only stuff on '97s, and then many changes for '98 and I think '00 as well.

Even if you did source a trans and some other bits from something else- having a whole donor truck is gonna be a good bet.

Actually, the way the dmv lists vehicle year is not accurate, specially when you are talking about two years on both side of the split. You will have to confirm the pcm type with each vehicle to make a correct evaluation. One plug pcm is OBD I and three plug pcm is OBD II. You will also want to determine if the trans is either a 44RH or 44RE( behind a 5.2 it would not be a 46). A flat three pin plug is RH and a round eight pin plug is RE. The plug I am referring to is the solenoid pack plug on trans, not P/N or output shaft sensor.

First pic has OBD I plug on left and OBD II on right, second pic is solenoid plug on 44RE trans and harness, sorry but no RH in shop.

Attachments

• OBDIOBDII.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 223
  • 20151227_123427.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 205
Once you have determined what you actually have or are considering buying, then can you determine what works with what.
I would choose the 96 harness as it matches the non egr intake set up. OBD II is also easier to modify for cam, emissions and O2 also. You can always grab a OBD II 5.2 auto pcm for cheap. If you are mating 5.2 and 5.9 stuff, you will have to swap converter as well. 5.9 neeeds counterbalance weight.

As far as making the 44RE fit the early A body, look for our thread about installing a 44RE in a 64 Dart for pics of what needs to be modified. You will also want to get a V8 center link for steering, car pan(5.2 & 5.9 magnum are same pan) and drivers 273 exhaust manifold or headers.

The 96-97 Ram truck pcm and harness work well for this swap as they have separate sensors for temp, oil and tach as they are not ccd buss like the 98+ Rams. Ie they have double wire oil press and extra coolant temp to run gauges.

The pcm can easily be flashed to remove evap codes as well as making it a one O2 sensor system to run with out a cat.

We are currently working to convert push button and old floor shifters to late model cable trans as well as a protorype header. If you have any other questions and want answers rather than guesses, give the shop a call at 541-955-0363 9-5 pacific time and I can answer all your questions. Evan

Thanks for all the info. It's great to have all these summaries for me to consider. Much appreciated. All here have been super helpful

-
Back