Will this radiator work?

-

Inspector71

Reaction score
My 68 Barracuda is eventually going from a slant six to a 360. I have a 22" radiator from my 66 Sport Fury that had a poly 318. A third row was added to the radiator. Will this work in the Barracuda as far as cooling goes? Will it be enough? I know I have to check the fit as well but, after having 2 cars in a row with cooling problems (68 Fury with 318 and the 66 Sport Fury with the older 318) I'm gun shy when it comes to cooling (p.s. I did "everything" and spent a lot of money to have the problems with the other cars fixed to no avail). Thanks

will it fit..don't know.
will it cool?
The rad you describe will work fine but is only a small
part of the system...everything else must also function properly.

It will be too tall.

This is correct. It can be made to fit, but the lower core support will have to be cut and then the radiator hangs out in the open under the bumper. The previous owner did this to my car when he put a 26" radiator in. Cools fine but I lost the structural part of a complete core support and the radiator is unprotected on the bottom.

This is correct. It can be made to fit, but the lower core support will have to be cut and then the radiator hangs out in the open under the bumper. The previous owner did this to my car when he put a 26" radiator in. Cools fine but I lost the structural part of a complete core support and the radiator is unprotected on the bottom.

Could a radiator shop remove part of the core to make it short enough?

Someday I may tally up all the money this forum has saved me and I'll bet (from parts sold cheap to advice) it will be great. I was hung up on width and ever thought about height. Oops. I've found lots of radiators, OEM style and aluminum, Griffin Be Cool Wizard, that will work in the $380 to $500 range which is not bad. A buddy had his 2 core 26" radiator for his 73 Duster 440 recored to 4 rows and it cost $489! Thanks everyone. This turned out to be a huge help. I may put the 22" back in the Sport Fury (that now has a 440) I sold to one of my younger brothers. Whew this was close.

-
Back