Will timing advance effect engine temp.

-

Oldschoolcuda

Early-A Body Nerd
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Bumped the timing up on my 340 powered 65 cuda to 20 initial & about 36 total @ 2200 to see how it responded. Drove about 25mis. to a cruise in Sat. night & she ran great but also ran about 15 degrees hotter than ever. Got up to almost 220. Would advancing the timing to the point of almost detonating make it run hotter. I was always told retarded timing created more heat. It was only about 65 degrees out.

Thanks

Oldschoolcuda

I think you answered your own question. Try a higher octane if you go further.

Hey rumble fish. Was that an attempt at being a smart A. Should have used special needs timing to denote delayed after top dead center.

Oldschoolcuda

It certainly will,if thats a fairly stock 340 the timing should be more in line with 6 degrees,i believe..20 degrees is way overkill and total should be 34 degrees...from testing and tuning i've found that my mopar likes more fuel and less timing...

No Oldschoolcuda, no.

Sorry you took it that way. Which makes me wonder, why would I actually answer anybody off the bat that way. Lord knows I can be a smart A and a 1/2 on a nice day, but I don't think I have ever addressed you before. AND if I did and it wasn't the best of responses, at least I forgot about it. If I did remember it, depending on how bad it was, I'd either forget about it and say "I'll just take the high road and answer him." or just simply not answer at all.

So from my point of view, my first time in dealing with you, as far as my mind can think back, you come off like this.

Hey, thanks but no thanks.

Initial timing is a function of the duration of the cam you are using. More duration requires more timing to ensure a complete burn of the mixture at idle and lower rpms. The total mechaincal is a function of the design of the heads and how efficeint they are. Typical numbers for open chamber LA heads is 34-36 degrees. The magnum head is a much better and more effecient design and peak power is obtained with less, in the 32-34 range.

You determine the initial timing the engine wants by increasing the timing in small steps while matining the idle rpm to find the peak manifold vacuum. If your 340 has a stock or close to stock cam in it then ideal initial timing should not vary much from the a few degrees from the factory recomended number.

Total mechanical can only be accurately determined on the dyno.

Thanks for the info. My cam is a hydraulic lunati voodoo with 474/494 lift & 268/276 duration. Heads are ported & polished X with stock 2.02 / 1.60 valves. Have had my timing set at about 15 initial & 36 total for 2 years and the car runs great. Just thought I would try bumping her up a little and she seemed to respond to the increased initial but ran hotter than ever. Will set my initial back to 15 for a 45 mile trip to a show sat. & tinker with it when I hopefully get it on the Dyno week after next.

Oldschoolcuda

Thanks for the info. My cam is a hydraulic lunati voodoo with 474/494 lift & 268/276 duration. Heads are ported & polished X with stock 2.02 / 1.60 valves. Have had my timing set at about 15 initial & 36 total for 2 years and the car runs great. Just thought I would try bumping her up a little and she seemed to resond to the increased initial but ran hotter than ever. Will set my intial back to 15 for a 45 mile trip to a show sat. & tinker with it when I hopefully get it on the Dyno week after next.

Oldschoolcuda

A dyno is just another tool,there is nothing like real track results...paid 300.00 to have my car on a dyno last year,adjustments were made and i took it to the track car went SLOWER,put the adjustments back where i had them..bingo car was back running the numbers...so don't believe everything a dyno prints out...

i agree with the above, nothing like the load of a holeshot, increasing load on the engine after each gear change, etc. I think the drum on the dyno is about 2200lbs if i remember right. On a full size 'built-in' one atleast.

Dyno may get you 'max hp', however it wont tune your combo for a 1/4 mile pull.

Thanks for the Dyno info. Its affordable at 135 bucks for an hour and close to my house. Plan to go the dyno route. Then hit the 1/8 mile track about an hour from me in North Carolina for test & tune & following that will run it in moparmadness at Virginia motorsports park in August. Have had two street encounters to judge performance on only because they would not leave me alone so I have some idea of 1/4 mile time. Destroyed a new Mustang Gt and got the best of an srt-8 jeep(he put up a good fight).

Oldschoolcuda

Yes & he got on me quick by about 1 car length while I hazed the tires. Caught him by aprox. 1/8 mile but could not get more than a car on him up to about 100mph when I shut down and he went by giving me the thumbs up. I have heard low 13's for them.

Oldschoolcuda

-
Back