wilwood disc brake ?????

-

carls72dart

Reaction score
I have a 72 dart that I converted to large bolt pattern (PST tubular upper control arms, Moog 73 dart lower ball joint, 73-76 disc spindles and bilstein shocks.) The wilwoid disc brake kit#140-11019 is supposed to clear 15" rims. I tried putting the rim on withthe car on jack stands to check for clearance. The rim was rubbibg the caliper both front and back corners. Has anybody ran into this situation? Looking for help here, will call wilwood tomorrow. Sorry for no pics, phone can't resize them. Thanks in advance.

I put Wilwoods (not sure the part #) on my 71 dart with no issues other than the wrong spindles. Running 15" ralleys.
I did talk to Wilwood in California and I will say they were very helpful getting the sopindle deal figured out.
Good luck, sorry I'm no help.

Come on guys, no one has Wildwood disc brakes and can shed some light on this?

Carl,

I have 12" rotors and the calipers same as yours. Don't think "all" 15" rims will clear. My new 15" rally wheels from Stockton fit but the aluminum 15" slots that were on the car before the new brakes will only fit with a .125 wheel spacer. If I remember the instructions it said "will clear most 15" wheels. Dan

THis caught my attention as I just orderede a set of the drum-disc willwood kits and I run 15's..

How bad is it making contact? I wonder if you could clearence the caliper a touch?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to talk to wilwood on Wednesday. Ran out of time today. I figure if I spent 700.00 on front brakes, I'm getting rims that fit without indexing the calipers:) looking forward to this project being done by next summer:)))

There are many instances of folks spending absurd money for Wilwood, only to end up having to spend more, buying new wheels and often tires.
It's pretty well known that Wilwood has interference problems not only with caliper/wheel, but just the centerhole size.
Very sorry to hear,
I always post this warning when someone mentions Wilwood.
But you did get a decal . . Not worth much, but folks put great value on it .
There should have been a sticky on it years ago, . . .but . . .?
Good luck .

There are many instances of folks spending absurd money for Wilwood, only to end up having to spend more, buying new wheels and often tires.
It's pretty well known that Wilwood has interference problems not only with caliper/wheel, but just the centerhole size.
Very sorry to hear,
I always post this warning when someone mentions Wilwood.
But you did get a decal . . Not worth much, but folks put great value on it .
There should have been a sticky on it years ago, . . .but . . .?
Good luck .

Money, as in cost, is very subjective and relative.

I've used Wilwood brakes on many vehicles, my own and customers. I have never had any issues with them. Willwood is very clear about what size wheels are required for each brake kit and again, i've never see clearance issues if these requirements are followed.

Money, as in cost, is very subjective and relative.

I've used Wilwood brakes on many vehicles, my own and customers. I have never had any issues with them. Willwood is very clear about what size wheels are required for each brake kit and again, i've never see clearance issues if these requirements are followed.

Unfortunately folks don't read small print, auto parts stores often aren't as knowledgeable as they could be, and once delivered, often instructions aren't refered to, untill something doesn't fit.
They saved and sweated getting them, only to find the desired wheels don't fit, and they don't have the money for new wheels and tires, - - - subjective, relative, - to you maybe, - try to tell that to the spouse, rent due, - car on blocks .
Then they come in on a hook, and we go from there .
I certainly can't explain why folks are like they are, but have found myself guilty occasionally, how bout you ?
Ikea maybe, lol

Last edited:
-
Back