Wilwood steering arms - too short.

-

funkyflynz

Reaction score
Hi, Im converting my A body mopar to rack and pinion front steer using the RMS front end, however I'm using the wildwood spindles instead of the RMS ones for certification reason (RMS has welded steering arms and we are not allowed to weld steering arms here in new zealand). The problem is the wilwood steering arms to too short, i need to longer reach out to the tie rod end. about 40-50mm. This will allow me to achieve minimal bumpsteer and ackermann

Does anyone know of any aftermarket steering arms that will fit wilwood spindles?

Thanks

Lee

Hi, Im converting my A body mopar to rack and pinion front steer using the RMS front end, however I'm using the wildwood spindles instead of the RMS ones for certification reason (RMS has welded steering arms and we are not allowed to weld steering arms here in new zealand). The problem is the wilwood steering arms to too short, i need to longer reach out to the tie rod end. about 40-50mm. This will allow me to achieve minimal bumpsteer and ackermann

Does anyone know of any aftermarket steering arms that will fit wilwood spindles?

Thanks

Lee

There aren't any that I'm aware of, I use those spindles a lot on our setups, also,I hope you got 2" dropped spindles, if you didn't, you're going to have to, the caliper bracket hits the lower control arm on a standard spindle. More than likely you're going to have to have them made, make sure whoever does it knows what they're doing, by lengthen them, they'll also have to have more offset out away from the car to retain correct Akerman. I hope this helps!

I *would think* you will need those shorter arms as the turning radius with longer arms will be lousy.
A rack&pinion doesn't have as much travel.

There aren't any that I'm aware of, I use those spindles a lot on our setups, also,I hope you got 2" dropped spindles, if you didn't, you're going to have to, the caliper bracket hits the lower control arm on a standard spindle. More than likely you're going to have to have them made, make sure whoever does it knows what they're doing, by lengthen them, they'll also have to have more offset out away from the car to retain correct Akerman. I hope this helps!

Thanks, yes I have the 2" drop spindles. Ive spent the weekend playing around with all possible rack locations, and I can get .2 deg toe out Ackermann with .1 deg bumpsteer. The rack ends up sitting between the lower control and the RMS cross member, its pretty tight and will require that I notch the RMS cross member but I think it will work.

I know this is an old post but I was curious did you wind up using the wildwood spindles on your Alterkation and if so how do you like them??

The only difference in spindle geometry between the (unmodified) standard /street rod Mustang II spindle and the Wilwood Pro / Helix Touring Mustang II spindle is the additional (1/2") height of the upper ball joint attachment. HDK uses all three of the above spindles based on builder budget and application.

to the best of my (limited) knowledge no, but only the steering arms are modified.

-
Back