window gasket questions

-

moper

Reaction score
I've got some appearance issues with my '65 Barracuda in terms of the front and rear window gaskets. The chrome strip is all gone - so there's just a whitish looking plastic strip there now. Can one buy and replace just thhat strip (I think it's an expander or something like that)? Or do you need the whole deal and to pull the windows to replace that? Also on the back glass.. that big chrome trim with the valiant emblem... The seal for that - is it part of that window gasket or a seperate part? Mine's not leaking but is dryrotted and looks like poop.
Any help from more experienced is appreciated!

You can certainly just replace the expansion strip without removing the window or the gasket! And, the rubber bumper behind the rounded edge of the "V" is connected to the trim and will come off with the trim when you remove it! Not sure if anybody is making a new replacement for that piece though, but maybe PM Rick@Laysons here on the board!

The expansion strip can be had at most soft trim vendors! I get all my stuff from Deutchman Automotive, he's always at least $5-10 cheaper than everybody else! Geof

That white strip os the factory lock strip that has had the mylar covering wear off. It pushes the gasket outboard, locking it, hence the name lock strip. You can use a 70'-90 Chevy truck lock strip too, texture is different but only you and I will know.
http://www.classicindustries.com/truck/parts/pw1042.html look at bottom where it says "Also Fits":63-66 MOPAR!

-
Back