window regulator question

-

gerty

Reaction score
My wife's 63 Valiant vert needs a rear window regulator. I have found a regulator from a 65 or 66 Dart GT vert online but I'm not sure if it would work. Anybody know if they interchange before I order something that might not work.
Thanks Bob

the Hollander I have does not list rear 1/4 regulator-- but the convert glass is the same in 63-66 valiant & 64-66 dart -so those regulators would be your range of vehicles to choose from .

hopefully yours is just rusty- full of dried grease that you can clean & then relube to have a working glass.
Lawrence

My wife's 63 Valiant vert needs a rear window regulator. I have found a regulator from a 65 or 66 Dart GT vert online but I'm not sure if it would work. Anybody know if they interchange before I order something that might not work.
Thanks Bob

There is a 63 or 64 valiant convertible east of Knoxville Tn that they might part

There wasn't much left there but parts when I seen it a few years ago

Got the number in other computer and a picture of the car.

What is wrong with the one you have?

It won't roll down, seems like it is stuck solid. The previous owner (a bodyman) said it needed to be replaced but he could never find one. I haven't taken off the panel to check it out myself, maybe I should before buying. I 'm laid up for a while and didn't want this one to get away if this stuff is hard to come by as I 'm thinking.
Bob

Anyone who has worked on the quarter glass of a 2 door will tell you is a nightmare but...The vert quarter glass is no doubt the easiest of all to service.
Two bolts in the bottom are always rusty and can be difficult. Once those and a few other bits of hardware are removed the entire works will lift right out.

There is a 63 or 64 valiant convertible east of Knoxville Tn that they might part

There wasn't much left there but parts when I seen it a few years ago

Got the number in other computer and a picture of the car.

WildCat That might be an option, I have a buddy in Oak Ridge that could check it out.
Bob

According to the parts books, all 63-66 Valiant & Dart convertibles used the same quarter window regulators. Numbers are 2428-208 & 2428-209. I don't see these numbers used on any other cars.

View attachment Carsales2.jpg

View attachment ConvertVal.jpg

View attachment ConvertVal2.jpg

it has been 2 years since I was by this place. If memory is correct it was east of Knoxville on st rd 11

No idea of area code the only other info I have is the road sign that shows

My guess all the cars are for sale and not sure if these are for parts or whole car. Across the street looks more like a junk yard.

Couldn't believe these cars were sitting right off a state road

It would be nice for someone to get some parts off this before it rust back into the ground

View attachment Carsalescrossroad.JPG

here is the road sign and cross road

It won't roll down, seems like it is stuck solid. The previous owner (a bodyman) said it needed to be replaced but he could never find one. I haven't taken off the panel to check it out myself, maybe I should before buying. I 'm laid up for a while and didn't want this one to get away if this stuff is hard to come by as I 'm thinking.
Bob

I work at an auto glass center and we usually repair old regulators instead of finding another one. I would definitely get it out if you dont drive the car everyday. It might be just something simple.

Anyone who has worked on the quarter glass of a 2 door will tell you is a nightmare but...The vert quarter glass is no doubt the easiest of all to service.
Two bolts in the bottom are always rusty and can be difficult. Once those and a few other bits of hardware are removed the entire works will lift right out.

You've got that right, my 67 hardtop Barracuda was a nightmare. I screwed around with it for about 8 hours to get it right. The previous owner had it in all wrong so I have to figure it all out.

I would take it out first and look at it. You must do so anyway, and can still drive it with the panel off if needed. I have my 65 Dart 2 door stripped now and don't recall any special issues removing the rear regulator. The rear seats are a bit tricky to release, but then straightforward. Maybe when I put the window parts back I will run into adjustment issues.

You've got that right, my 67 hardtop Barracuda was a nightmare. I screwed around with it for about 8 hours to get it right. The previous owner had it in all wrong so I have to figure it all out.

It is truly a royal PITA!

On my '64, the rear windows would only go down halfway. I didn't want to worry about alignment issues, and I also needed to fill up my top pump, so took out the back seat and side covers, it took about 20 minutes. I sprayed brake cleaner on the tracks and gears and everything else that moved, waited a bit, worried the handle back and forth, and got it to move, took about 5 minutes per side, lubed and cleaned, and finally white greased, and they work like new. Didn't have to worry about undoing seized bolts and screws, even though mine are free. And the window is still perfectly aligned.

Dan

On my '64, the rear windows would only go down halfway. I didn't want to worry about alignment issues, and I also needed to fill up my top pump, so took out the back seat and side covers, it took about 20 minutes. I sprayed brake cleaner on the tracks and gears and everything else that moved, waited a bit, worried the handle back and forth, and got it to move, took about 5 minutes per side, lubed and cleaned, and finally white greased, and they work like new. Didn't have to worry about undoing seized bolts and screws, even though mine are free. And the window is still perfectly aligned.

Dan

I'll definitely try this first!:cheers:

Yeah, I did the same.
I think that they just get all gunked up over the years.
If you try a really good cleaning and spray with lithium grease they should work better, mine did.

Do a post and let us know how it goes

-
Back