Windshield Leaks

-

Scottrico

Reaction score
My windshield has been leaking at the driver and passenger sides near the bottom of the windshield. I recently removed the windshield and rubber gasket to find out where the trouble lies. I figured there might be a hole in the lower a pillar, but what I found is that it was just a rusty mess at those lower corners and someone had previously tried to smooth out the area where the sheet metal is joined and spot welded at the factory. It looked like it was smoothed with bondo which had basically disintegrated. Once I wire wheeled out the bondo, I was left with what appears to be a leaded joint which is quite uneven and looks like it might not be sealing the factory sheet metal lap joint. Does anybody know if this lap joint was sealed at the factory with lead? Or perhaps this was a repair made later. The sheet metal appears to not be rotted through. I am considering removing all of the lead with heat and resealing the lap joint with perhaps Por 15 seam sealer, or fiberglass bondo which I understand is water proof.
There is another issue which I seek guidance. In the drivers side lower windshield area there is a small (5/16") square hole just below the dashboard bolt which is either some type of drain into the cowel or perhaps one of the places water leaks onto the floor during any rain. It looks like it might interfere with a good seal. Has anybody seen this hole before? It has some type of flexible piece coming out of it. I have attached pictures before and after cleaning.

20230326_143103.jpg

20230326_145604.jpg

20230326_143044.jpg

20230326_204750.jpg

I believe the lead is factory as it fills the seam between the pillar and the cowl top. The little square hole I can't help you with. My car doesn't have that. Maybe a guide of some type for the glass gasket?

Damn. My apologies. I lied. After I posted, I started second guessing my self and went out to the shop to check. There is a little square hole on either side but mine didn't have any rubber or sealant in it when I removed the windshield.
Seam.jpg

thanks for the speedy reply. It seems I only have a square hole on the drivers side. I looked at the gasket and there is no part that sticks up and could go into the hole. I does look like it would cause a leak, but it was put there by the factory.

That is a leaded area from the factory. I believe what your problem is that someone replaced the windshield at some point with out using window sealer in the gasket and over time the leaking caused the leaded joints to corrode. I would wire wheel off everything you can and get a better look at it. It may need to be releaded. Rust is your worst enemy. Make sure you use sealer in the gasket channels when reinstalling the windshield, that is what keeps it from leaking.

-
Back