Windshield replacement in winter time?

-

DrillNFill

Reaction score
NOT about my Dart, but my "3-season" daily-driver 2008 Charger. Started her up today remotely from the house, it was about 22* outside and when the kids and I got in, I noticed the windshield was cracked about halfway across.

I have taken two other cars to a local place ~10 miles away, and have been very satisfied, but with lousy weather predicted for the next few days, Im assuming the highway will be salted beyond recognition. This car has never tasted road salt or snow in her 13+ year existence and I want to keep it that way.
So my question is, has anyone used Safelite mobile glass replacement and were you satisfied? I searched FABO and saw a few threads where some people seemed to be. Should I just keep it garaged until spring and go to the local place? Will anything worsen leaving it in an unheated garage until April?

I don't need to drive the car, not sure if its safe to drive on the highway anyway- there's a line radiating from the center of the windshield pretty much to within a foot of the edges (there was an old crack in the center repaired maybe 10 years ago).

just looking for some opinions. thanks in advance =)

I think you are okay to do anything you mentioned. Glass replacement is only as good as the person doing the work. Hard to find good help. 22 does seem cold. The glue uses moisture to dry. Wierd, I know. The glass people will know if it's too cold. Nothing wrong with mobile installation but in house is easier for them.

But why did it crack? Is there some load on the WS such as a poor repair from a collision...or other...

I have always lucked out and had glass replacement free on my insurance. We have a Jeep Commander and that thing is shaped like a brick, so every stone the windshield catches, it chips. It's had 3 windshields since we have had it. Every one was replaced by safelite, free. So check with your insurance Co. May be covered in full or part.

As far as time of year, I don't think it matters, but if you aren't driving it...might as well just get to it when it's convenient for you.

24 hours at 70 degrees for urethane to fully cure. If you plan on parking it, do it when weather is warmer. Nothing will change between now and then. The glass is dualite. Two layers, usually only one layer cracks.

But why did it crack? Is there some load on the WS such as a poor repair from a collision...or other...

It seemed to radiate outward from an old, tiny repair from a chip about 10+ years ago. I think it was that plus a combo of really cold temps and an idiot (myself) remote-starting it from the house with the defroster on high.

Safelite is by far the MOST EXPENSIVE place to get a windshield replaced (at least around here). I have gotten quotes from them twice. First time was on my 98 Ranger. They wanted $350 if I brought it to them. I then called a place called Jayhawk Glass and Body Shop; $125 installed. They told me that they got their glass from the exact same place as Safelite. The second time was for a Dodge Caravan. Same deal, Safelite was $200 more. If you absolutely have to use a mobile service, and they are the only ones available, go for it. But as for the price, you have been warned.

Safelite is by far the MOST EXPENSIVE place to get a windshield replaced (at least around here). I have gotten quotes from them twice. First time was on my 98 Ranger. They wanted $350 if I brought it to them. I then called a place called Jayhawk Glass and Body Shop; $125 installed. They told me that they got their glass from the exact same place as Safelite. The second time was for a Dodge Caravan. Same deal, Safelite was $200 more. If you absolutely have to use a mobile service, and they are the only ones available, go for it. But as for the price, you have been warned.
I would 1000% agree with the statement that safelite is $$$. I only used them bc they were covered by my insurance plan. If it was out of pocket, I would have shopped elsewhere I'm sure.

A star from a stone and then heat from the defrost will do it. Temp differential as the warm air comes out the defrost vent onto the glass. Had one do it while driving. We get -30 to -40° up here.

-
Back