Windshield replacement in winter time?

Mopar General Discussions

1. DrillNFill

DrillNFill Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:29 PM
    NOT about my Dart, but my "3-season" daily-driver 2008 Charger. Started her up today remotely from the house, it was about 22* outside and when the kids and I got in, I noticed the windshield was cracked about halfway across.

I have taken two other cars to a local place ~10 miles away, and have been very satisfied, but with lousy weather predicted for the next few days, Im assuming the highway will be salted beyond recognition. This car has never tasted road salt or snow in her 13+ year existence and I want to keep it that way.
    So my question is, has anyone used Safelite mobile glass replacement and were you satisfied? I searched FABO and saw a few threads where some people seemed to be. Should I just keep it garaged until spring and go to the local place? Will anything worsen leaving it in an unheated garage until April?

I don't need to drive the car, not sure if its safe to drive on the highway anyway- there's a line radiating from the center of the windshield pretty much to within a foot of the edges (there was an old crack in the center repaired maybe 10 years ago).

just looking for some opinions. thanks in advance =)

• Like Like x 1
    • Bodyperson

Bodyperson Pedal to the metal FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      7:29 PM
      I think you are okay to do anything you mentioned. Glass replacement is only as good as the person doing the work. Hard to find good help. 22 does seem cold. The glue uses moisture to dry. Wierd, I know. The glass people will know if it's too cold. Nothing wrong with mobile installation but in house is easier for them.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • 4spdragtop

4spdragtop CONGRATS NORTH AMERICA! FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        8:29 PM
        I would leave till spring. Why worry bout the crack if it's not driven?

• Agree Agree x 3
        • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
        • tedsweet

tedsweet Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          10:29 PM
          exaxtly

• Bewy

Bewy Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          1:29 PM
          But why did it crack? Is there some load on the WS such as a poor repair from a collision...or other...

• Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac www.blueprintengines.com FABO Vendor

Local Time:
          9:29 PM
          I have always lucked out and had glass replacement free on my insurance. We have a Jeep Commander and that thing is shaped like a brick, so every stone the windshield catches, it chips. It's had 3 windshields since we have had it. Every one was replaced by safelite, free. So check with your insurance Co. May be covered in full or part.

As far as time of year, I don't think it matters, but if you aren't driving it...might as well just get to it when it's convenient for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Tooljunkie

Tooljunkie King of cobble/master of the broken bolt FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
            8:29 PM
            24 hours at 70 degrees for urethane to fully cure. If you plan on parking it, do it when weather is warmer. Nothing will change between now and then. The glass is dualite. Two layers, usually only one layer cracks.

• Like Like x 1
            1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
              By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.