Windshield - Restore or replace?

-

Garethw

Mopar. Because rocket science is too easy.
Reaction score
Ok gang, I'm close to removing the windshield from my 65 Valiant convertible for some major cowl repair. I'm pretty sure it's been in there since 1965. It's all in one piece but it has scratches and looks old. Should I attempt to keep this one and restore it somehow or just get a new one? I've seen new ones on ebay for around $265, which doesn't sound bad. The seal is dry rotted and will be trashed either way.

Kind of depends on how you want to see the world for the rest of your life, at least when you're driving that car.

Ok gang, I'm close to removing the windshield from my 65 Valiant convertible for some major cowl repair. I'm pretty sure it's been in there since 1965. It's all in one piece but it has scratches and looks old. Should I attempt to keep this one and restore it somehow or just get a new one? I've seen new ones on ebay for around $265, which doesn't sound bad. The seal is dry rotted and will be trashed either way.

I'd go with replacement
Just be aware that the repop glass is NOT as thick as the originals MM vs inches don't exactly translate in glass "6mm" glass is not the 1/8th inch or comparable thicknesses today.

You should take a bit of extra care in sealing it up both in the channel seal and on the mounting flange. Also if you can feel a scratch aka catch it with a fingernail it's too deep ,so that might require replacement or road pits knock down the viewing pleasure of your car. I have not seen too many that are still good after 40+ years of driving.

I replaced one about 10 years ago mostly due to fogging. It made a very noticeable improvement in visibility.
I would check the price on having it installed.

Thanks guys. I think I'll replace it. Who sells a good clear one? I've seen tinted ones with the darker strip at the top, which I don't think I want.

Most replacement windshields are tinted at the top.
My local glass guy said he could not even get a clear one a few years ago.

I called around quite a bit and got some widely varying prices should definitely do your homework.

I love when you call 1 of the first questions they ask is "Is your insurance paying for this?". I wonder what the price is for the INS, Co compared to me. I have $0 deductible for glass for my daily.

I’m probably a year from putting the new glass in anyway. Needed to know how careful to be removing the old one. Hopefully I can find an all clear one when the time comes.

Better check the availability on that deal as well, some are not being reproduced, especially when it comes to convertibles!

Better check the availability on that deal as well, some are not being reproduced, especially when it comes to convertibles!

Aren't the windshields the same for convertibles and hardtops?

Aren't the windshields the same for convertibles and hardtops?
in the case of the 65 valiant .... Yes they are the same.(post # 3 is my measurements) 63-66 Dart Windshield Gasket Source?
The gasket is slightly different but also can be used. it's an inside trim to gasket issue on the gasket. But more importantly it's a glass with tint band on top or not on top along with the glass being slightly thinner due to "import glass" measurements MM vs Inch in 65 it was inches and nowadays it's MM's so thinner glass overall. And the chances of finding a clear one is getting worse and worse. I found 1 tinted one without the top band 2 years ago and now will need another one, but I'll probably break down and get the banded one for my convertible since it's easier to find.

Thanks 66Dvert. I’ll be thinking about that seal to trim gap before I buy a new gasket.

Thanks 66Dvert. I’ll be thinking about that seal to trim gap before I buy a new gasket.
my thought on it were $80.00-100.00 per normal gasket or $229.00 for 3/16" different convertible gasket. ended up being a no -brainer for me that extra 100 went for other parts.

-
Back