Windshield S/S trim seals

-

RealWing

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what type of seals (or sealant) were originally used under the:
1. Under the S/S trim piece along the top of the windshield and
2. under the A Pillar S/S trim pieces

Since my car has been apart at least 2 times before I got it, I don't know how it is really supposed to go back together in this area!!

First a few photos of what the top of the windshield frame looked like when I took it apart (Yellow was the cars original color) The pieces of foam look to me to be non original.
However the closeups seem to indicate some kind of original factory foam sealant??

Then I have this long rubber strip that came in the Legendary weatherstrip kit. It looks like it should go under the top S/S trim piece according to the service manual, but not sure if it is an A body part or goes on the B Body?

There must be some kind of sealant under this strip, otherwise the rain will run under it and into the car.

Thx
Jim

Attachments

• IMG_7132.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_3382_1280x719.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_3383_1280x719.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_3384_1280x719.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_7141.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_7140.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 299
Then I need to know what seal/sealant goes under the side A Pillar S/S mouldings. One piece had a foam strip under it, but I doubt it is original.
The disassembly photos seem to show some kind of foam factory sealant having been applied along the A pillar post???

Hope someone can help!!
Thx

Attachments

• IMG_7128.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_7139.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_7142.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 281
I took those pieces off my Barracuda. The foam is factory, but I would suspect anything in there to prevent air flow under the trim would work.

I took those pieces off my Barracuda. The foam is factory, but I would suspect anything in there to prevent air flow under the trim would work.

Thanks Jim
Do you mean the foam weatherstrip pieces are factory on the top and in the side trim pieces? Do you have any photos?
Thx
Jim

Look @ the service manual post on top of this forum for 67 service manual dated 11-25. Section 23-77 shows a seal and retainer illustration. That may help figure it out.

Look @ the service manual post on top of this forum for 67 service manual dated 11-25. Section 23-77 shows a seal and retainer illustration. That may help figure it out.

The same diagram is in my '69 Manual, however this shows the weatherstrip that is attached to the front edge of the convertible top. I now see how it goes together.

Attachments

• weatherstrip diagram002_916x960.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 215
No, I don't have any pics of mine when I took it apart. I will be taking another apart, but that will be a while as I don't want parts of two cars laying around. To my knowledge those pieces have never been off my GTS (still had mostly original paint when I bought it in 1983) and I don't think they had ever been off my Barracuda, but that car had been done once before.

No, I don't have any pics of mine when I took it apart. I will be taking another apart, but that will be a while as I don't want parts of two cars laying around. To my knowledge those pieces have never been off my GTS (still had mostly original paint when I bought it in 1983) and I don't think they had ever been off my Barracuda, but that car had been done once before.

Thanks Jim

Looks like I'll just use some narrow thin closed cell foam strips and/or dum-dum caulking strips to ensure the water does not get inside the windshield header. I mocked this up and it seems to seal and fit OK.
Jim

I'm going to be removing and replacing the widshield, gaskets and trim in the next month or so as part of my dash & A/C and interior resoration. I'm getting water in the car under the dash currently, and suspect it's more than the wiper gaskets.

I'll post pics of what's under there, as the car has never been apart as far as I can tell.

I'm going to be removing and replacing the widshield, gaskets and trim in the next month or so as part of my dash & A/C and interior resoration. I'm getting water in the car under the dash currently, and suspect it's more than the wiper gaskets.

I'll post pics of what's under there, as the car has never been apart as far as I can tell.

Thanks!!! These A Body windshield gaskets seem to be very prone to leakage. My '69 Fastback leaks under the dash and I'm pretty sure it is the windshield gasket.
Jim

My GTS was leaking at the gasket several years ago (I don't have the lower trim/lock strip installed). I just used a clear sealant that I bought at a parts store. No more leak.

Jim
I went out to the garage today and snapped a few pictures of the seal. The one you have isn't original looking. It is one piece and extends down each side to about the wing vent pivots. There is also some butly caulk on the seams in the corners. Here are a few pictures. I also snapped a couple of pics of the foam that I believe it more of and anti rattle than anything for the rear curtain. I will post them in the other thread you started.

Thanks Carl😄😊😄😊😄
That is exactly what I was looking for.
The foam looks relatively soft. Is that how it feels?
I think I'll send your photo to Detroit Muscle Technologies to see if they have something like this. In the meantime, don't throw any of that in the garbage!!!
Jim

Carl

Can you give me a rough sizing on the seal? ie how wide and how thick?

Jim

I will try and get to that for you tonight when I get home from work

The seal is 1" wide and 3/16" thick. It is held in place with some contact cement it a spray type adhesive it looks like.

-
Back