WINDSHIELD TRIM REMOVAL

-

B'cuda

Reaction score
I want to remove the front and rear windshield trim on my 69 fastback. What tool(s) works best and how? And the drip rail, I hear bottle opener? Really? Any suggestions or tricks would be appreciated.

Two special tools and one common one. For windshield mouldings, front and back, the two black handled tools work well, they are left and right handed. The red handled one does the same thing and works in either direction. They both are made to go under the moulding and release the clips. The channel locks work well on the drip rail moulding. That moulding is "twisted" off in a kind of bottle cap fashion. Grab the drip rail moulding top and bottom with the channel locks. Top teeth act as a "pivot". Pivot on the top teeth and pull out using the bottom teeth- it will pop out. Start at one end and work your way down. You will see that it rather "hooks" itself in place.
100_2408.JPG

The cheap one from Harbor Freight works pretty good. Just did mine last week

Can you post a picture of part number/sku for the Harbor Freight tool? I have this project ahead of me.
Thanks.

Can you post a picture of part number/sku for the Harbor Freight tool? I have this project ahead of me.
Thanks.
I've never used a metal tool on a drip rail. I usually use a small block of wood on the bottom edge, tapping with a hammer.
Patience is the key in removing a drip rail molding. It will roll off the bottom of the drip rail.

Both tools work. But the one on the top is the cheap Harbor Freight one. It works the best. I had no damage on my trim moldings off of a 1972 Dart. I did it last week

20180814_191811.jpg

20180823_164909.jpg

72- how do you slip that tool in there-At each clip? Slide it along?

First molding will take you a hour. Last molding will take 5 mins. It's takes practice

These worked best for me. Allows you to grab both sides of the clip and pull evenly. The black sealant is still the worst part. I like to work a razor knife in between the body and trim first, and during the removal. Slide one side of the pliers along until you feel a clip, grab both sides and ease it back.
s-l1600 (18).jpg

Cool, thanks for all the input, really helps. All I could ask for now is a picture of the clips so I can visualize how they hold it and what I'm after.
Otherwise I appreciate what you guys have shared and will go from here

Google removing chrome window trim. A good one for a Ford Mustang is on Youtube. They are the same for Mopar.

I've never used a metal tool on a drip rail. I usually use a small block of wood on the bottom edge, tapping with a hammer.
Patience is the key in removing a drip rail molding. It will roll off the bottom of the drip rail.
So Lee are you saying you just tap the whole thing backwards off the rail? No twisting at all?

I tap them off with a old paint stir stick from a paint store. Thin & strong

So Lee are you saying you just tap the whole thing backwards off the rail? No twisting at all?
Yes, a drip rail molding has to be removed from the bottom side, and rolled off the bottom of the drip rail. Start at one end and work forward.
Patience is the key. Stay away from metal tools, they can scratch and deform the molding. Different people have different methods. I use a small
block of wood and tap it with a hammer.

Two special tools and one common one. For windshield mouldings, front and back, the two black handled tools work well, they are left and right handed. The red handled one does the same thing and works in either direction. They both are made to go under the moulding and release the clips. The channel locks work well on the drip rail moulding. That moulding is "twisted" off in a kind of bottle cap fashion. Grab the drip rail moulding top and bottom with the channel locks. Top teeth act as a "pivot". Pivot on the top teeth and pull out using the bottom teeth- it will pop out. Start at one end and work your way down. You will see that it rather "hooks" itself in place.View attachment 1715214120

I'm about to embark on windshield removal (and rear window too) on my Scamp. That tool in the middle of the photo, KD Tools p/n 2037, is supposed to be the one for Chryslers. Unfortunately I've not been able to find it anywhere, as it seems to be a discontinued part. There is one like the black handle ones at the top, where it has both LH/RH in one tool, one on each end of the handle. I think I'll try that one first since I can't find the other one.

-
Back