Windshield Wiper motor

-

Shamrock--WV2NC

Reaction score
im looking for a wiper motor for my 74 Dart Swinge. When I look on summit and advance auto website it only shows 2 speeds motors. The wipers have never worked as long as I’ve owned the car. When I turn the switch it clicks 3 times. So I’m guessing it has 3 speeds. Any help for a part number would be great. Thanks

Post a photo of your wiper motor as that will confirm if it’s a 2speed or 3 sped motor. A two speed motor is shorter and sticks straight out from the angle portion of the firewall the wiper motor mounts to. A three speed motor is larger and is mounted parallel to the angle portion of the firewall the wiper motor is mounted too. The picture below is of a 3 speed wiper motor.

942CC316-1D90-4F93-8E85-C25893BF7AD1.jpeg

im looking for a wiper motor for my 74 Dart Swinge. When I look on summit and advance auto website it only shows 2 speeds motors. The wipers have never worked as long as I’ve owned the car. When I turn the switch it clicks 3 times. So I’m guessing it has 3 speeds. Any help for a part number would be great. Thanks

Hello Shamrock--WV2NC
I two was looking for a replacement unit after i confirmed mine was shot (open stater). see test below.
Found a good used one on here from a fellow FABO member.
There are some good re builders out there. Our fellow FABO members can recommend one if needed.
Also I got a new gasket from Detroit muscle Technologies.
Mopar & AMC muscle car restoration gaskets Detroit Muscle Technologies, LLC
before you buy anything try this test.
Make sure the case of the motor is grounded to the body of the car if testing on car.
Note: I got this test from someplace on the WWW a wile ago and is not of my authoring.

Bench testing procedure.
Test #1(Hi speed)
Connect jumper wire from motor case to battery ground.
Connect second jumper wire from battery positive to BROWN lead.
Motor should run hi speed continuously.
Test #2 (Lo speed)
Connect jumper wire from GREEN wire to battery ground.
Join BROWN and RED wires together and connect a jumper wire from battery positive to them.
Motor should run at slower speed.
Test #3 (Park)
Connect jumper lead from GREEN to BROWN wire.
Connect jumper wire from red wire to ground.
Connect jumper wire from Blue wire to battery positive.
Motor should reverse and park.
(Depending on where the motor had stopped the park feature may have a full rotation or very short rotation
Hope this helps,
Happy Mopar:)
Arrom

Last edited:
Post a photo of your wiper motor as that will confirm if it’s a 2speed or 3 sped motor. A two speed motor is shorter and sticks straight out from the angle portion of the firewall the wiper motor mounts to. A three speed motor is larger and is mounted parallel to the angle portion of the firewall the wiper motor is mounted too. The picture below is of a 3 speed wiper motor.

View attachment 1715382768

I will test it tomorrow afternoon. But does anyone know a part number? Or is a motor just not available?

Hello Shamrock--WV2NC.
The only numbers for a replacement 3 speed motor i have are OLD Cordone Part Number: 40-370 and NAPA RAY 49352 but not sure of the correct application. I was going to buy one and use the parts to repair mine, But found a working unit here on FABO cheaper.
You could call Cordone at 800-777-4780 to see if they can help you with a replacement Or repair of yours.
Some fellow FABO members may have various opinions of them.
As far as I know they are not made / reproduced in new form any more and only used / rebuilt is the options advailable now.
(I could be wrong).
You need to confirm what is wrong with your system before buying any parts.
Keep us updated on your quest.
Happy Mopar :)
Arron

I had a tree limb go through the roof of the house after a bad storm. Haven’t had time to mess with it yet. Hope to get to it Tuesday if Mother Nature doesn’t ruin my plans. Again

I had a tree limb go through the roof of the house after a bad storm. Haven’t had time to mess with it yet. Hope to get to it Tuesday if Mother Nature doesn’t ruin my plans. Again
Hello Shamrock--WV2NC.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck.
Saving grace is its easier to buy plywood, underlayment, shingles, and nails then to find new or replacement roof for your car.
Any way glad no one was hurt.
Keep us updated on the wiper problem.
There are a lot of good FABO members on here that can help you get the issue corrected.
We would hate for you to end up like this

Happy Mopar :)
Arron.

Update. Bushings on the rod are bad too. This sucks. Hahahahaha

Hello Shamrock--WV2NC
Ok you are making progress,
Do they look like any of the bushings in the links below?

A-Body 1962-76 - Dart - Duster - Valiant -- Electrical / Windshield Wiper / Wiper Motor Linkage Bushing /

1967-1976 Dodge Dart Parts | MN3107 | 1967-76 Mopar Wiper Motor Linkage Bushing - 3-Speed/Variable Speed | Classic Industries
You can also call them.
Hope this helps,
Arron

They switched to plastic bushings in ‘73 and later. The links above are of the ones you need. The mark-up on those bushings is strong. Usually Year One is the expensive one but they are less than half the price of Classic Industries in this case! $29 for one plastic bushing?!?! $12 for one plastic bushing?!?!

This place sells them for $2 for the same bushing. And I think that’s $2CDN which is actually $1.50USD. I bought these bushings from National Moparts last year and they work.

73 & Newer Wiper Linkage Bushing/Retainer-Repro

They switched to plastic bushings in ‘73 and later. The links above are of the ones you need. The mark-up on those bushings is strong. Usually Year One is the expensive one but they are less than half the price of Classic Industries in this case! $29 for one plastic bushing?!?! $12 for one plastic bushing?!?! This place sells them for $2 for the same bushing. And I think that’s $2CDN which is actually $1.50USD. I bought these bushings from National Moparts last year and they work.

Thanks H22A4.
Can always count on fellow FABO members to look out for each other.
Arron.

Thanks for the links Arron, what an absolute joke with the prices from both Classic and Year One. Another eye opener from those clowns.
OP, glad you found locally.
Hello Shamrock--WV2NC
Ok you are making progress,
Do they look like any of the bushings in the links below?

A-Body 1962-76 - Dart - Duster - Valiant -- Electrical / Windshield Wiper / Wiper Motor Linkage Bushing /

1967-1976 Dodge Dart Parts | MN3107 | 1967-76 Mopar Wiper Motor Linkage Bushing - 3-Speed/Variable Speed | Classic Industries
You can also call them.
Hope this helps,
Arron

Just so you know... The plastic part that failed may have been OEM. Lasted a long time huh? Keep in mind that all the bushings are the same age so all should be replaced at same time. When the replacements last only a year or 3, the owners tend to place blame on the quality of the replacement plastics. True cause of repeating failure is binding in worn pivot post assemblies. Although the assembly is about 3 inches long, the bronze bushings at each end are only 1/2 inch long. Between the bushings is a rusty steel shaft in hollow cast metal sleeve.
We have a member here who properly renews door hinges but I'm not aware of any one anywhere who renews the wiper pivots.
Seal kits are available that can stop or at least slow the water leak into the cabin. Those kits include zerk grease fittings so you can fill the hollow cavity with grease. Notice that the pivot movement is only 180 degrees. So before you take them down to reseal, mark bottom of the housing with a sharpie. When you replace them on the 2 studs, rotate your mark 180 degrees (out of sight). This will put the worn part of the shaft on a much lesser worn side/wall of the bushings. Result is smoother and quieter wiper operation and longer life of those plastic parts.

-
Back