Winter project carb rebuilds

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
With 318willrun re-doing his AC box as a winter project, it motivated me to do something. The Eddy 1405 has some fuel issue in the 67, so I thought I would rebuild the orig carb. 4295S for 273 and slap it on after car comes back from winter storage.
Gonna rebuild the orig from my 69 340 as well.
Over a $100 on 2 kits! And I forgot to.order floats dammit!
Kits are Hygrade by Standard Motor Products(#224D for 273 amd #446B for 340). Got them local overnight.
I would like to do these in the basement for the most part. Suggestions on low odour cleaners and any other suggestions? Not terribly familiar with carbs but im not shy

Cheers
Steve

20170104_212951.jpg

20170104_212958.jpg

20170104_213004.jpg

I would soak them in a bucket of carb cleaner first, scrub em off then blow them out with compressed air. Let them air dry for a day or two and you should be able to bring one in at a time and get started. Remember which came first , check ball/brass valve (if applicable) under the squirters and set the floats with the gasket in place. They are very simple to rebuild, I can do one under an hour

Last edited:
I would soak them in a bucket of carb cleaner first, scrub em off then blow them out with compressed air. Let them air dry for a day or two and you should be able to bring one in at a time and get started. Remember which came first , check ball/brass valve (if applicable) under the squirters and set the floats with the gasket in place. They are very simple to rebuild, I can do one under an hour
Steve
I use carburetor cleaner it comes in what looks like a metal gallon paint can. You can pick it up at Walmart or any auto parts store. I let it soak however long depending on how bad the carb is. I then will take and old toothbrush to it to clean any remaining areas. I don't know it it is good to do but last I rinse the carb cleaner off well with clean water then let all the parts air dry. Blow out any of the small passages with compressed air then rebuild. I have never a problem with any areas being gummed up.
Carl

Thanks guys. Should I go with brass floats or plastic ones? Brass ones are $11/pc. So another $50.
I'll chk Wal-Mart for non aerosol carb cleaners. That stuff is pricey up here too.
It would be cool to find an ultrasonic cleaner cheap.

Looks like your off to a good start. I like the kits :)

Thanks 318WR, it was nice to see the kits werent made offshore. Any suggestions on floats? I redid a TQ and cant remember if I used brass or new style floats.
Thanks!
both will work. If you had a choice, I would use what was originally in the carb.

About $70 for 3/4 gal
Wow! That's just INSANE Steve!
I got lucky I guess. The store was on final close out with 50% off ticketed price. So $4.50 US each. I took two at that price.
ChemDip.jpg

BTW, My daughter calls home the other day from Waterloo complaining about the cost of an oil change on her new Renegade. I told her drive it down here next time!

WOW,I love that price! I think your daughter would love a gallon or 2 for her birthday or Christmas on your next visit up here LOL.
I found a couple options at Princess Auto. Basically same as your Harbour Freight.
I can get a 5 gallon pail for $75, that will last me a lifetime unless I spill the damned stuff. Next is a 1 gallon pail by Spray Nine, called Power Kleen. $28.
Wow! That's just INSANE Steve!
I got lucky I guess. The store was on final close out with 50% off ticketed price. So $4.50 US each. I took two at that price.
View attachment 1715004727

BTW, My daughter calls home the other day from Waterloo complaining about the cost of an oil change on her new Renegade. I told her drive it down here next time!

Thanks guys. Should I go with brass floats or plastic ones? Brass ones are $11/pc. So another $50.
I'll chk Wal-Mart for non aerosol carb cleaners. That stuff is pricey up here too.
It would be cool to find an ultrasonic cleaner cheap.

You have Brass floats in both Carbs. They never go bad unless some Dunce ruins them. The ones you have will last another 50 years. Not so much with plastic floats...

Believe it or not Steve I use liquid tidy bowl the cheaper the better actually, just rinse the heck out of them afterwards.

So I bought Spray Nine stuff called Power Kleen. $28. Soaked the 273 carb for a few days. Still a fair amount of junk inside. It stripped off whatever they use to paint the carb id tag.
Lots of scrubbing ahead.

20170105_210606.jpg

20170111_032843.jpg

20170113_022007.jpg

20170113_022000.jpg

View attachment 1715007508

20170113_030236.jpg

Is that stuff hard in there Steve? Maybe a little acetone can help soften if it is?
Maybe pieces of hard wood dowel can be shaped for scrapping irregular contours.

No its not hard Dave, just gooey varnish. I may try your dowel trick, carb is back soaking in it. Jug of stuff is concentrated. I mixed it 10:1. Jug stated 20:1 lol
I'll pick away at it over the weekend.
I have the 340 carb soaking in parts washer solvent at work. We will see if it's any better once this carbs done.

So will my new Eddy 1405 springs and metering rods work in this? If not where can I get springs n rods? I have rebuld kit but no springs in it.
Is that stuff hard in there Steve? Maybe a little acetone can help soften if it is?
Maybe pieces of hard wood dowel can be shaped for scrapping irregular contours.

So got some time to scrub. A bit more to go so in for another soak. Stuff is working ok. Ill go sttonger concentration for last soak.
Question, the choke shaft and/or housing is slightly worn. Should I remove and have it bushed?
See pic, linkage is bent and needs to be straightened.
Also, 2nd pic, can those steel pieces with the slots be removed? (Not sure what they're called)
Thanks
Steve

20170121_212953.jpg

20170121_213133.jpg

Last edited:
I think those splash baffles just pull out. Make sure you put them back the same way.
If the shaft is bent and worn It may be worth pulling to straighten and bushing if you feel like. I kinda' lean if it works don't fix it so. if the shaft is true, for the bent part, I think I'd just try covering some log nose pliers with thin cardboard to make a "soft jaw" and try to straighten it first.

-
Back