Winter Storage Question

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
Well,as we all know,the cold weather is upon us that live in cold regions and I have a question.Im going to try and start and run my Duster as much as I can this winter but because it sits outside,is there something I can put in the gas tank this winter to keep the fuel lines from rusting and crapping out.I spent too much on a new tank,new lines for them to rot out.Hopefully this winter will not be too bad,but in Colorado,the weather is pretty unpredictable.
And I know this is the fuel section,but what about battery storage?I bought one of those small battery tenders that give a small trickle charge.Hopefully that will work.

Yep, Sta-bil. Also, make sure you get it hot when you do run it or you are just adding moisture through the engine and exhaust system.

When storing my cars,regardless inside or outside.I load the car up with Downy drier sheets,around wiring,underdash,seats,engine compartment.Mice hate them and I hate the smel of mothballs.It keeps the car smelling fresh too!

My suggestion:
Use Stabil (new Blue version if available)
2 stroke oil at about 200-400:1 ratio
Drive, or mix and run car to treat the entire fuel system.
Fill tank completly to the top.

I use to fill the tank, now with the crappy gas I don't fill it any more so in the spring I can add fresh gas. I always fill with premium, they claim it is more stable than regular.

I just bought some MARINE StaBil (blue stuff) Bought a QT. for $20 @ Meijer and you use just one oz per 5 gallon to stabilize. It states it will reduce the corrosion & moisture in the fuel

I wouldn't start the car unless you are going to drive it. Starting and letting idle will cause more condensation. I would say it needs to be up to operating temp and driven 15 to 20 minutes to insure against condensation in the exhaust and oils

The battery tender is a must for any vehicle in long term storage.

Use Stabil!! I start using it in my last tank or two of gas to make sure it gets in the carb as well. I use it in all my lawnmowers, 2 stroke engines, boat motors (use the Marine Stabil), and cars and I've never had a bad gas issue.

The reason for filling the tank isn't to preserve the fuel. it's to preserve the tank. If you don't fill the tank the top half will get rusty again. The 2 stroke oil also helps out in this department. I run a steady diet of 400:1 during the summer and 250:1 for winter storage.

The inside and outside of my 43 year old tank were spotless, execept the top of the inside was rusted to hell. You could see where the fuel level was when the car was stored. Not rusty below the fuel line, but rusty above. Three years later and the inside of my new tank still looks perfect, storing it the way I suggested above.

If you are looking to keep the engine free of moisture, a block heater or a decent sized pad style oil pan heater can be used on warm moist days when the car is still cold and literally becomes a condenser. This will rid the engine of moisture much better than idling the engine with out any of the side effects.

-
Back