Winter time model building thread.

-
Bill,
What for model kit did that intake come out of? (I'd like to get me hands on one to mold it for making more of them!)

I have absolutely no idea! It was molded in yellow, and had been in my engine parts box for decades. I have an idea it could be from an old MPC stock car. Didn't exactly fit the Mopar engine, but was pretty easy to modify.

Bill

Thanks for letting me know It is definitely a NICE intake! Needless to say wasn't that "Rat Roaster" a Mopar only intake anyway for Nascar back in the day?

John, the intakes for the Hemis were the "Rat Roaster" and were used (mostly) with one 4-bbl for NASCAR, and the more familiar cross-ram type for drag racing. Edelbrock also came out with the Street Tunnel Ram manifolds, which I believe the one on my model is supposed to be. STR-14 for the 426/440 wedge motors, and STR-15 for the 362/383/400 wedge motors. They had interchangeable tops, one 4 bbl, two 4 bbl, Dominator, Quadrajet, or even a six pack. Here are some for sale on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDELBROCK-STR-14-45-CROSS-RAM-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-62-64-MOPAR-413-426-440-MAX-WEDGE-/400251584750 [ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-EDELBROCK-STR-14-6-440-SIX-PACK-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-8690187-3690248-413-426-6BBL-/360961436887?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item540afa6cd7"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-EDELBROCK-STR-14-6-440-SIX-PACK-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-8690187-3690248-413-426-6BBL-/360961436887?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item540afa6cd7 [/ame][ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edelbrock-STR15-Cross-Ram-intake-manifold-NOS-big-block-Mopar-383-400-/151391893099?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item233fa8f66b"]Edelbrock STR15 Cross RAM Intake Manifold Big Block Mopar 383 400 | eBay[/ame]

Also, STR-12 for small blocks!
...They also made them for Chevy & AMC.

Here's the CrossRam 440 & chassis I started for car #3 in my Dodge half of a all Mopar S/S team
20140901_202543_zps47b6edf7.jpg

20140901_202528_zps8dbfcfcd.jpg

Bob & 69_340_GTS,

Yeah the Rat Roaster was a Nascar only type intake back in the day, that I knew...The Cross-Ram was used for Drag racing, knew that too. BUT, alot use them for road service now....

As for the 12 pack, I have that intake! I'm missing the needed carburetors for it, and I too plan to put it on a 426 Hemi, just not sure what car thats gonna be used in, Possibly the '41 Plymouth I have! I just got to locate the carbs for it....

NICE looking

As for the model, thats a nice looking '32 Ford!!!!! Better with a Hemi power plant in it so. NICE SAVE on the car, itself!

I made the intake from a Hemi cross-ram, with added pieces cut from two Monogram 427 Corvette tri-power manifolds. Also stole the carbs and plumbing from the Corvettes!

Bill

Bill, so you made your own 12 pack intake for the Hemi then? I got an intake thats a 12 pack, I'm not sure it originally went to a Hemi or what it even went to at all, its a decent looking intake tho....I want to see if I can fit carbs to it and use it as you did on a Hemi of some sort.... Like I said, probably will be on the engine going into my '41 Plymouth model.....MIGHT even go to a 392 Hemi instead of a 426, just for something different....

The actual part I THINK was made by MPC back in the day....As it turns out I've also had parts from Jo-Han and never knew it till recently....I WISHED I could come up with a pitchfork scooped hood for a '71 'cuda....As the hood thats with the one I have now, is a Pro-Street/Pro-Stock type with a monsterous hood scoop on it...

hi all, don't post here too often, really don't know why but I have a question.... the carb that came in the 1970 duster kit is an AVS, isn't that close to what came on stock hemis? which was an AFB. so, if I had a gentleman take the AVS out of the duster and cast it, I would have a better looking carb to put on my hemi's besides that hunk of styrene crap they give you in the hemi kits, correct?

WHO-HOOO!! ALMOST IN DOUBLE DIGIT POSTS.....

Not sure if I understand the question.
]

ok, in the AMT kits, the GTX's, road runners, super bee's, they have these 2 blobs that on the instructions are called "carbs". I was digging thru some old kits and came across the carb from the revel duster kit. I remember my hemi had carbs that looked like that and was curious if they would work on these kits? I have never seen them used before.

thanks for your replies.
Tubbs

I have a Color Me Gone in a misprinted box that says "super sport" instead of superstock.

What do you think about a Hemi with a 12-pack Rat Roaster on it? My '32 Ford:

Awesome build. Looking at you detail is making me wonder if the letters on the tires stick out far enough to dry brush the Goodyear logos? I've never tried it but...

Yes, that is an awesome job on the coupe.

..and yes, you can paint the raised letters white.

..but oil leaches out of the rubber and turns the white brown in about a year.

Yes, that is an awesome job on the coupe.

..and yes, you can paint the raised letters white.

..but oil leaches out of the rubber and turns the white brown in about a year.

Thanks. Those would be tough letters to paint, they are so small. When I do paint tire letters I first clean the tires by scrubbing with kitchen cleanser. The paint I find easiest to use is reefer white Floquil lacquer. It's a bit of an off-white color, just like real white letters. I've got tires I lettered using this that are 20 or more years old and none of them have yellowed. Or not enough to notice.

WELL with my modeling years and experience, I have to say the tires, 1. ARE NOT "rubber". They are Vinyl...."Lacquer" paint normally "attacks" the vinyl and never truly dries....

The best I've found to "paint" white letters that I have done and tried many years ago, was Acrylic paint.

I have been told that a few things can be done to get real "Lacquer" to dry and thats to coat the tire in "Future" floor shine, its a floor polish that puts a good durable barrier between the vinyl tire, and the paint, This allows the Lacquer paint to dry....

The other way? Using "White" Gel pens....Sadly however these last 2 things I've read about and have been told, BUT have yet to trey either one! I have yet to find "Future" floor shine thats sold under the "Pledge" line of floor care products.....I'm working on trying both these ideas to see which one I like the best....

I'm not 100% sure if Floquil railroad colors are actually real "lacquer". I think so, because if applied too heavily it will craze styrene. Plus it dries almost instantly when airbrushed. Anyways, it works for me and it does dry, although slowly on the tires. This may all be a moot pint, as I have heard that Floquil has discontinued this line of paints due to some stupid EPA law or something. Glad I have quite a stockpile of it!

I tried a highly recommended brand of white gel pen once... Talk about something that would never dry!

I'm not 100% sure if Floquil railroad colors are actually real "lacquer". I think so, because if applied too heavily it will craze styrene. Plus it dries almost instantly when airbrushed. Anyways, it works for me and it does dry, although slowly on the tires. This may all be a moot pint, as I have heard that Floquil has discontinued this line of paints due to some stupid EPA law or something. Glad I have quite a stockpile of it!

I tried a highly recommended brand of white gel pen once... Talk about something that would never dry!

I have used Floquil for railroading modeling LOVE the stuff, BUT they are true Lacquer paints, I thin them with pure Lacquer thinner for spraying when needed, so.....

As far as Gel Pens go, I haven't heard which works best, BUT I have heard you have to be careful which one to pick as some are almost "ink" based, what that consists of, I'm not sure, I haven't looked into it that far to date.... There are several different types of them!

I have used Acrylics tho, paint and they dry just fine, BUT to wonder if a type of "Gel Pen" exists to try.....Make application a bunch more easy to do!

I have heard and seen the "Future" Floor shine and it can be sprayed onto the tire and let to dry, its also clear acrylic, and then the lacquer over that once dry and it too dries.....SO....Spraying it, is easy too, cleans up with water, and does NOT needed thinned for what I have read, and a bottle goes a LONG ways as a little really enough, don't need to "coat" things like if ya would with paint "clears"......

Sharpie poster board "paint" markers I bet would also work!

-
Back