Wiper linkage, bushing install

-

MoparMike1974

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to install new bushings in my wiper linkage. Problem is the car has been apart 15 years and the old bushings are MIA. Need to know which direction to press the bushings into each arm and where the links connect to on the pivot. Basically, which of the two posts on the driver side goes to the motor. Tried to mock up the linkage but it does not seem to line up like it should.
In the mean time im going to go look in my parts storage and see if I have another set with the bushings still in it for reference. I did find another set but no bushings in them either. Anyone have pictures with the linkage installed?

20181124_160736.jpg
20181124_160632.jpg

Just happen to have a set out.

U the man Dan. I found two more sets and figured out all the bushings but one. Thanks for the pics, it will be a big help.

Man, those pics would have been priceless over the last 5 years.
Sooo many people have asked that question along with which way the arms go together.
Saving those.:D
Right? For me, too! Still intact with good pivots,

Im surprised the pivots have not been repoed yet. I never could find a good set without a bunch of slop. I took mine apart and machined them for bearings.

Im surprised the pivots have not been repoed yet. I never could find a good set without a bunch of slop. I took mine apart and machined them for bearings.

Early years are bushings and the later ones are plastic insert, and the plastics are available at Autozone.

I meant the actual wiper pivots, not where the linkage attaches.
I briefly considered offering a wiper pivot renew service. This was after I renewed my own 67 model pivots. New bronze bushings wasn't an issue as that is a common dimensions piece.
The downfall was supply of good shafts. I found the right/passengers side pivots are more likely to have good reusable shafts while left/drivers side pivots could have a severely worn shaft.
For me, history dictates that soon after I invest to provide such a service, the aftermarket would fill the void. This happened with console brackets and more. So if we want to see new reproduction wiper pivots ( from china ) we know how to make it happen LOL

To address the worn and pitted shaft I turned them down on the lathe and used a metric bearing.

Thank you so much for the picture, this helped me a alot.

-
Back