Wiper Motor erratic

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I installed a digital dash that removes the metal mounting plate for the wiper switch. Is that plate a ground for the switch? I ask because my wiper is erratic in that is works sometimes and not other times. I rarely used the wipers before but I don't remember it being so erratic. Lastly, How do you get it to park in the correct spot? I have to time my shut off with the sweep of the wiper blades?

Sounds like the internal contacts in the motor need attention. The park feature is in there as well.

Might be the switch but bench testing is probably in your future

My Dart Custom wipers would sometimes not have the "park" function operational. I found that the wires going into the motor had a bad connection, if I moved them slightly they would park. As for the switch, I don't know if it is grounded through the stock metal dash or not, but it's possible.

You definitely need to ground the switch.
I had a similar problem due to grounding issue.

I just went through this If you don't have a great ground on the switch the wiper won't park. I repainted my dash and that caused the grounding problem.

I wanted to drive my 67 notch (variable 3 speed wipers) without its rally inst' panel for a while. I used short pieces of plumbers strap with one of the holes enlarged to attach the wiper switch and head light switch to screw holes in the dash. Both needed to be chassis grounded.

-
Back