Wiper motor testing

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
I'm in the process of restoring all the small parts to put back together after the engine bay is painted. Is there any way to test the wiper motor function with it removed from the car? Like maybe run a lead from a battery or something like that? I'd like to test it to make sure it works right before I take the time to clean and paint it.

Go to MyMopar if you have not and download the closest factory service manual you can get for your model car. Then look in section 8. Most years, there is a troubleshooting procedure for the wiper motor

You have what? A wild guess is a 75? If the 73 manual does not work, I may have a 75 or 76 manual I could scan those pages

Go to MyMopar if you have not and download the closest factory service manual you can get for your model car. Then look in section 8. Most years, there is a troubleshooting procedure for the wiper motor

You have what? A wild guess is a 75? If the 73 manual does not work, I may have a 75 or 76 manual I could scan those pages
Thanks I appreciate it! Yea mine is a 75. I will check that out.

It took me a LOT of digging but with a lot of suggestions for locations of info and patching things together, it finally led me to the 72 Plymouth Chassis Manual (page 8-109). This helped me a LOT, hopefully it will help you or others too. It shows not only how the motor is wired but also how the switch is too.
upload_2020-4-3_16-10-10.png

Then using some other diagrams and a wiper harness, if you look straight at the motor, the wires go as follows:
upload_2020-4-3_16-26-36.png

It doesn't seem like it should be this hard to find but it was for me. Thought I'd share it in hopes it may help you or others!!

upload_2020-4-3_16-20-1.png

^This only applies, tho, to 2 speed. If OP has 3 speed it is different

I'm in the process of restoring all the small parts to put back together after the engine bay is painted. Is there any way to test the wiper motor function with it removed from the car? Like maybe run a lead from a battery or something like that? I'd like to test it to make sure it works right before I take the time to clean and paint it.
Used this a bunch lately. Assuming your 75 has three speed. From FBBO:
How to test a 3 speed wiper motor

Last edited:
Yea I did but i cant remember how many speeds the wipers had lol i think it was off and on haha.

I have no idea if mine is a two or three speed.

This is precisely why you need to download and read a service manual. I'm not trying to be an a-hole, but I'm OLD. Back in my day, you had to walk into the dealer and plunk down hard earned money for a manual. I STILL HAVE most of the manual for my 70 which I bought in "about" 71-72

This is precisely why you need to download and read a service manual. I'm not trying to be an a-hole, but I'm OLD. Back in my day, you had to walk into the dealer and plunk down hard earned money for a manual. I STILL HAVE most of the manual for my 70 which I bought in "about" 71-72
Where is a good place to download a service manual?

Seat belt interlock ****. Maybe for 74.
Yea and the taillights lol I removed all that wiring for the seatbelts I'm not sure If I will put it back in or not. I'm wanting to buy new seat belts eventually I dont really trust 45 year old seat belts

-
Back