Wiper motor

-

SB69GTS

Reaction score
Just ordered a new wiper motor for a 69 dart and rec'd one that does not look like my old one. The new one has the motor coming toward the front of the car and the one that I have goes towards the drivers side. Does anyone one now which is the correct one. Also ... the new one says no washer pump, I have the washer pump on mine ...does anyone have a wiring diagram showing the connections from the wiper motor to firewall block to windshield washer pump. I cannot find a motor that states with use of a washer pump .... any help would be great

The washer pump has nothing to do with the motor, the pump is right in your washer reservoir and is activated, depending on year, either a push button in the middle of the wiper switch knob, or by pushing the knob in. Some cars had cheaper, manual, foot pump operated washers

The motor you need depends really, on the switch. If what you had had been working, you need to duplicate it. Refer to your shop manual

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

and this website here. If you poke around this website, there's all kinds of info and troubleshooting info on Mopar wipers

http://www.passion4mopars.com/

Having a bit of the same problem. I did not have a motor so I bought a used one. Now my wipers are low-high-low. No off. If I had to guess, I think I have a 3 speed wiper motor and a 2 speed switch. Anyone agree/disagree?

69 Darts had a 2-speed, sounds like u do have the three speed one

The one that I got is a 2-speed, but my old wiper motor has the four wires directly wired into the motor and 2 wires coming out that are soldered to the centre of the hub. The new 2-speed one has 4 tabs to slide the wires on and nothing else. Also, my wiring that goes from the motor is 4-wire to the block, but at the block .....it has 4 going in and 2 wires that come out with slip-on connectors .... so this is where I am confused and was hoping someone had a similar set up .... basically ...what are the 2-wires that come out of the motor and into the centre of the hub for and what are the 2-wires coming out of the firewall block for .... new motor has 4 into the motor and 4 into the block.

My motor looks like the 3 speed. Is it possible to just put in a 3 speed switch?

OK ...pics helped ....thanks ...did not think they had a 3-speed wiper motor for a 69 ....but the top pic is correct and I have the 2-speed one here to take back ...now just have to find a 3-speed and where the 2 wires go from the block and how the washer pump hooks up ...thanks guys

My motor looks like the 3 speed. Is it possible to just put in a 3 speed switch?

I guess that depends on if the wiring harness in the car was made to take one or both versions. If it was, then you could just plug and play.

You would probably have to look up the wiring diagrams for your specific year and model to determine that.

OK ...pics helped ....thanks ...did not think they had a 3-speed wiper motor for a 69 ....but the top pic is correct and I have the 2-speed one here to take back ...now just have to find a 3-speed and where the 2 wires go from the block and how the washer pump hooks up ...thanks guys

Here's a link where you can download a 69 Dodge service manual for your car. You can then print out the wiring diagram pages and trace the wires. pdf format.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

No problem on the pictures, I had already had them from another member asking for them before.

Yes, the 3 speed wiper motor was optional.

The top picture with the 3 speed is from my 67 Formula S fastback that was very well loaded (it stickered for over $4500 with all the options).

The bottom two of the two speed motor are from my 68 Formula S fastback, basic 340 S auto with console; that's pretty much it for the options. Manual steering and brakes, just motor and automatic with a console... Basic.

The two wires going to the center of the gear drive are for the park function/off position.
They keep the motor powered until the plasic cam comes around to the right spot and then breaks the connection when the wipers are in the parked position.

Here's some info that might help

http://www.passion4mopars.com/Mopar-2-Speed-to-3-Speed-Mopar-Wiper-Motor-Conversion_b_1.html

http://www.passion4mopars.com/Mopar-Wiper-Motor-Switch-Numbers-and-Applications_b_9.html

http://www.passion4mopars.com/Mopar-Wiper-Motor-Part-Numbers_b_3.html

The top photo of the black/aluminum motor came in both two speed and 3 speed and normally on late 67/early 68 models A/B body styles, (past early 68 Chrysler went to PN 2889982, then into 2983033 and finally settled on the 2983116 from mid 68-70 for the 3 speed motors.) On the black/aluminum motors if there are three wires going into the bulkhead connector, it's a two speed, if there are 4 wires, it's a 3 speed/variable speed (depending on the switch)

http://www.passion4mopars.com/Wiper-Motor-Wiring-Diagram_b_6.html

Normally if you have a 3 speed motor, two speed switch you get one speed and no park function, same applies with a two speed motor and a 3 speed switch, one speed, no park, meaning it parks where ever you turn it off at.

Hope this helps without being too confusing?

Normally if you have a 3 speed motor, two speed switch you get one speed and no park function, same applies with a two speed motor and a 3 speed switch, one speed, no park, meaning it parks where ever you turn it off at.

My problem with this is that there is no OFF. Just keeps moving.

My problem with this is that there is no OFF. Just keeps moving.
Ok for the park function let's try:

On the back of the switch plate/gear housing cover/center where the three wires should be soldered to (two green to one contact, blue to the other contact), remove the 5 screws and turn the switch plate over. Make sure that the long copper tang is sitting on top of the short copper tang. That's your park switch and if it's bent above or below, contact is always broken and the motor will never park it will just keep running. If the park switch on the reverse of the cover is the way it should be, look for a broken island on the face of the gear. If the gear island is broken too far the motor will never park without replacing the gear. Normally, though, it's the park switch on the reverse of the switch plate.

PLEASE NOTE: The switch plate is "clocked" for the park position on different body applications. You have to make sure when you've checked the park switch that you return the timing nib to the correct position or the wipers will not park in the correct position on the windshield.

I'll attach a page from the FSM that shows the clocking for the switch plate and I'll attach a photo of the back of a switch plate and how it should look for you to have proper park function.

(Wiring on the car whether originally equipped with a 2 speed or 3 speed will accommodate both with no changes)

Let's see if that gets us anywhere?

Attachments

• Switch Plate Park.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 525
  • Switch Plate Timing.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 1,397
Since I have my entire dash torn apart. I wanted to look inside the dash at my seals for the Wiper system. good to go. all replaced.

My problem. ............I know here we go again. I have a 69 fish with a 2 speed wiper motor. They do not park when the switch is turned off. They stop where they are. Here are pictures of the motor mounted to the dash. The lower left mounting stud has a metal clip. Should a ground wire go there??? The two speeds work great. What gauge wire should I use for a ground???

wiper motor 2.jpg

wiper motor 1.jpg

-
Back