Wiper Pivot Shaft Seals

-

krazykuda

FABO Gold Member
How-To Section Editor
Reaction score
Hi guys, I finally talked my kid into changing his wiper seals since we already have the dash board out (71 Valiant 4 door). Who makes the best kit for the wiper seals? Where did you get yours and how did they work? Did you have any problems with them?

What do you recommend?

Thanks.

I used DMTs which came as part of my firewall kit. All good.. I don't know if he started to include grease fittings, but you can get them elsewhere. (Schumacher has press in style in there kit.). I tapped mine for threaded fittings. The most important seal as far as stopping leaks is the butyl strip around the base. I had to redo mine cause I did not put the grease zerks in at first. Luckily I had butyl rope caulk left over from my windshield install.

X3 Detroit Muscle, they run about $15.00

I would just buy the entire firewall set, because if you have the dash out, most likely heater, steering column etc. is out so you will need everything.
I think the firewall set is around $40.00

X3 Detroit Muscle, they run about $15.00

I would just buy the entire firewall set, because if you have the dash out, most likely heater, steering column etc. is out so you will need everything.
I think the firewall set is around $40.00

That's a good idea, but we do still have the steering column and Hevac ducts in. I'm not sure if I can get him to go along with replacing those. I just dropped "the bomb" of replacing the wiper seals while we were looking at dropping the dash back in last night and delayed putting that in until we get the seals.... He's eager to get it back together....

I used DMTs which came as part of my firewall kit. All good.. I don't know if he started to include grease fittings, but you can get them elsewhere. (Schumacher has press in style in there kit.). I tapped mine for threaded fittings. The most important seal as far as stopping leaks is the butyl strip around the base. I had to redo mine cause I did not put the grease zerks in at first. Luckily I had butyl rope caulk left over from my windshield install.

That sounds like a good idea. I would like more details on how the grease fittings go in the pivot seals. Do you have any pictures?

That sounds like a good idea. I would like more details on how the grease fittings go in the pivot seals. Do you have any pictures?

I usually get pics of everything. When I pulled mine the second time to add the greasers, I already had the dash in, so not easy to see them. I'll be out there later and will see if I can get a pic.

I just angled them down to the most open area to get a grease gun hose on them. The pivot body is aluminum, so it drills easy and you'll feel right away when you hit the steel shaft. I tapped it., but might not even need that - some fittings will self tap, especially in soft metal. Or you can just use the drive in type.

I usually get pics of everything. When I pulled mine the second time to add the greasers, I already had the dash in, so not easy to see them. I'll be out there later and will see if I can get a pic.

I just angled them down to the most open area to get a grease gun hose on them. The pivot body is aluminum, so it drills easy and you'll feel right away when you hit the steel shaft. I tapped it., but might not even need that - some fittings will self tap, especially in soft metal. Or you can just use the drive in type.

Cool. I like the idea of being able to grease them. I drove a 68 Barracuda to 500k miles and had to free up my pivot shafts a few times.... :violent1:

Greasing them would make them last much longer.... :cheers:

I am going to be doing this today, already have the kits with grease zerks but dont think there are any pics with it. Hell I dont even know which pivot goes to which side but am looking for pics of underdash on here now, gonna be a complete rebuild with parts from another car, motor, linkages, bushings, wiper arms....all of it.

understood Trail, but not all kits come with the instructions. I don't think DMT's do so I included the link for reference.

understood Trail, but not all kits come with the instructions. I don't think DMT's do so I included the link for reference.

Oh, I know and I was typing at the same time you were.
I was agreeing with you when I quoted you.. :)

The kits available are only water seals. There's a heck of a lot more labor in rebuilding worn pivot assemblies.

Attachments

• pivot parts resize.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 307
I forgot i used angled fittings. here's the passenger side. Thats the corner of the radio. Looking straight up. Not much room under there- AC car.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 303
I did them in Dads cuda. My 1st time doing it, so not sure what the issue was, BUT the foam ring that goes around shaft didnt seem to provide a nice tight seal. I put the zercs in as well. I will be redoing or looking into it again in the spring. PAIN in the ARSE...as dads car was running driving at the time. Do it while dash is out, ALSO check the linkage bushings Karl...very cheap fix.
Foam seal kit I got was DMT, but like I said my 1st time doing it I prolly messed it up.

Heres the driver side. Even with the angle I may need to pop the lower link to grease it, but not figuring it will need that to often. While it does lubricate it, I wanted the grease in there to fill the space. I actually watched drops coming through the pivot as i hosed it down looking for leaks before adding the fittings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 278
Thanks for all the great info & links guys.

I'm hoping that I don't need to rebuild the shafts, just new seals and try doing the grease fittings....

Keep the ideas coming...

My kits came from Mancini, same as above with the same instructions, Im gonna put the zerks on top because of the way my dash is, I can remove it in less than 5 seconds and bammmm there they are. Now I need to order the new plastic clips for the ends of the linkage and it should be ready to go. Sand blasted all the rust off of em today and slapped a coat of primer on em just for grins.

The wiper seal kits already arrived from Mancini today. Now we are working on cleaning up the pivot shafts. Luckily they are pretty free and not stuck.

Does anybody make the black bushings/retainers for the linkages new?

R/T specialty in PA.
Just put new ones in my Duster, they fit great.

I tried ordering them from R/T but something went wrong, there was no way to pay on their site, guess I should just call em, they also have a new trunk weather strip for $25 bucks, gotta have that too, its a great addition for little money.

-
Back