Wiper Switches

-

Bills65Dart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have looked for a wiper switch for my 1965 Dart, 2 speed and washer function. No luck, no luck with any other wiper switches for that year, in fact, I do not find wiper switches for any Mopar with the switch in the dash, and so it goes for GM too, but I have found I think 3 or 4 switches for Ford trucks and that's it.

So, what is all this about ?

I went to the Standard Motor Products catalog, and they have over 1200 switches for these newer cars with the switch on the column often together with other switches too. But non for the older cars. What really surprised me was that there was nothing for the most popular cars either, like Mustang, Charger, Challenger, Corvette, Camaro, and the list goes on.

Have someone lost their marbles totally now, or am I searching for the wrong thing ?

(I did find used ones, even refurbished ones too).

Bill

Is this the reality, no wiper switched being made anymore for cars older than "on the column switches), or am I missing something here ?

Bill
Apparently none are made. I wonder if @slantsixdan knows of a replacement? I would much rather have a good used one than a repop that are copied now days.

Apparently none are made. I wonder if @slantsixdan knows of a replacement? I would much rather have a good used one than a repop that are copied now days.

I see. I guess I have to repair the one I have. As for replacement, for it to work, I guess it has to have the same axle shaft, and the same thread. The connection is something that can be modified.

Bill

Do you have any photos? Is it a variable speed wiper or a 3 speed? A 64 or 66 switch may be interchangeable.

Do you have any photos? Is it a variable speed wiper or a 3 speed? A 64 or 66 switch may be interchangeable.

Well, let us take the first things first, pics. I got two of them, not sure if they show you what you are looking for, but the phone can take more pics.

Variable speed or 3 speed... well, now I am sitting here with a smile. I have no clue what to answer you. :) Here is how it works: All the way to the left it stops, no wiper going. Then one step to the right, and the wipers start going slowly. When I continue to turn it right, like for speed number to, I come to a point, and the wipers starts going fast. I can barely feel it as a stop when turning the knob, but the knob can be turned more to the right, but I have not tried to turn it all the way around. I figured it was 2 speeds on the wiper, and did not want to ruin the switch by turning too far. I can also push it in, and then it sits in until I pull it out again. I will not say it is a 1/4", but will say more than 1/8". However, there is no such thing as a fluid tank or pump on the car, but the nozzles down in the heater intake is there. The hoses were brittle and fell off when I checked them.

Bill

1965-Dodge-Dart-Wiper-Switch-a.jpg

1965-Dodge-Dart-Wiper-Switch-b.jpg

Looks a lot like my 66 switch. ANy numbers on the housing? Mine is marked 2770377

My variable switch has one detent at the off position. From off to full on is 1/2 turn. Also there are 7 electrical connectors.

Thanks @sgrip65 . I saw at least 2 maybe 3 of the variable speed switches - well, slow, then variable from slow to higher, then 2nd or high speed that I had in a box at the Nationals

I just went through getting parts to convert my 64 Valiant single speed wiper to variable speed. Just got the parts, today, so haven't tried to install yet. As far as I can see 64-65 Valiant/Dart were either single speed with or without washers, or variable speed with or without washers. That's all that shows in the parts book. No 2 or 3 speed. Haven't checked 1966, but would think that is the same.

Yeah, part of the problem here is that there is nothing such as 2-speed wipers in a '65 Dart unless you could "on" and "off" as two speeds...that's actually 1-speed. They were never serviced in the aftermarket (Standard Motor Products, Echlin, etc) -- always only ever a dealer-only item, and we're talking about parts for 54-year-old cars here, so…yeah.

Yes usually numbers stamped on parts is a part #. I will then take that # and will ask Google to help by punching in said part #.
I will also confirm said part # is correct by accessing a proper factory parts manual.
With wiper motors and switches they must match.
Lather, rinse repeat for wiper motor.
Good luck.

Yeah, part of the problem here is that there is nothing such as 2-speed wipers in a '65 Dart unless you could "on" and "off" as two speeds...that's actually 1-speed.
I don't have facts to argue. I know Dart was the low dollar offering but I want to believe 2 speed wipers were available.
There is a interesting movie about the invention of intermittent wipers.
Aftermarket never got into these because there were too many variations and not enough demand for any of them.
Turn signal switches were dealer only item for many years also. I think that's because it is/was dealer installed in most cases. Some of those are still not available in aftermarket.

I don't have facts to argue. I know Dart was the low dollar offering but I want to believe 2 speed wipers were available.
Then why argue?
I stated facts obtained from the factory parts books, 1964 and 1965, did not look up 1966. Other years I can't say, without looking up the facts.
PS: Dart was not the "low dollar offering", Valiant was.

Then why argue?
I stated facts obtained from the factory parts books, 1964 and 1965, did not look up 1966. Other years I can't say, without looking up the facts.
PS: Dart was not the "low dollar offering", Valiant was.
Dart is to Dodge what Valiant is to Plymouth. Nevermind. Good luck to all.

And so you ask, and so someone posts facts. As for beliefs, well, despite the facts I want to believe there's a million bucks hidden in my refrigerator, LOL.

There is a interesting movie about the invention of intermittent wipers.
Aftermarket never got into these because there were too many variations and not enough demand for any of them.
Turn signal switches were dealer only item for many years also. I think that's because it is/was dealer installed in most cases. Some of those are still not available in aftermarket.
On and faster are the two speeds.

-
Back