Wipers don’t return home

-

Craig Burriss

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, what would cause my 70 Duster 2 speed windshield wipers to not return to the bottom of the windshield when I turn them off? They stop wherever you turn them off even if they’re sitting in the middle of the windshield. Is this a switch problem or a motor problem? Or could it be a wiring issue? I have every wiring diagram known to man for this car and the wiring appears to check out.
Thanks.

Sounds like it is not parking. The fsm should have instructions how to check the internals. Probably a stripped gear.

Did the wipers ever park propperly?
Did you change our the switch lately?
Did you do any wiring changes lately?

As for cause / diagnosing

there are a few different types of motors and parking mechanisms.

on my 67 2 speed there is power provided to the park cir and power provided to the motor. Both via the wiper switch.

if the power to the park cir is missing the wiper will stop mid flight

If the switch that makes the park cir work fails they will stop mid flight

But when you watch the video you will see there are a couple more complicated methods to park the wipers

My 70 Dart would periodically have the same issue. One of the wires on the motor had a loose connection, if I moved it slightly the wipers would park normally.

I'd first make sure the ground strap has a good connection. Without one, wipers can do a sorts of strange things.

-
Back