Wire up 1994 5.2mag mpfi in older car

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

89 Magnum GT

Reaction score
Nead some massive healp can't find any healp any where project is 89 dodge Magnum GT With a 1994 dodge Dakota mpfi nead to power up the phone to get motor to run any body done this the healp would b greatly appreciated and trying to help my brother is his first car :banghead::banghead:

Power up the phone? Ive swapped a OBD1 magnum into a 74 short bed dodge. It's VERY simple to wire up. I used a Chilton manual and figured it out in no time. Are you trying to use a factory harness, has anyone else attempted to wire it or altered the harness?

Power up the phone? Ive swapped a OBD1 magnum into a 74 short bed dodge. It's VERY simple to wire up. I used a Chilton manual and figured it out in no time. Are you trying to use a factory harness, has anyone else attempted to wire it or altered the harness?
Yes

You're gonna have to give us some more info on this swap you're attempting.

Do you have the complete underhood harness from the Dakota in the car, including the underhood fuse box and the big square connector(with a bunch of wires in it) that went to the firewall in the Dakota? Or has someone began stripping wires out of the harness?

Are you just trying to do a quick test fire by just throwing some fuel down the intake, or do you also have a EFI fuel system setup?

Are you using an overdrive transmission also, or have you used an older trans and cut the notch in the bellhousing for the crank sensor to clear?

I used a ram truck harness when I did my swap. There were 3 square plugs near the break booster that tied the engine harness into the dash/firewall. I would assume that the Dakotas are the same. Could you post pics of the plugs? I have some hand drawn wiring diagrams around here somewhere that make it super simple to wire up.

What are you doing for the fuel system?

I suggest getting a wiring diagram for the donor. Then, look to see where all the power and grounds are and you can go from there. Once you establish power and ground, there almost shouldn't be anything left.

I suggest getting a wiring diagram for the donor. Then, look to see where all the power and grounds are and you can go from there. Once you establish power and ground, there almost shouldn't be anything left.

It's pretty much that simple. Power, ground, and I ended up having to wire a basic relay for the "ASD" feature.

This should be a big help.
85362d1501375560-faq-general-info-common-problems-factory-service-manuals-v6_v8pcmpinout-1.jpg

You guys need to learn to search Google. Here for xample.........in just a few minutes......are 2000, 01, and 03 manuals. I have not found "in the 90's" yet that are active links.

Index of /fsm

The problem with posting some "universal" diagram is that the ECU/ ECM and other wiring has changed both components and colors. The earlier Jeep/ Dodge ECM for example, only has one connector at the ECM. The ones I've worked with have 3, both my RAMS and DAKOTAS

Some more "interestin stuff" but no 98 as yet.......

MediaFire

Same site is 98 Durango stuff, the manual is spit into lots of files evidently because of a bandwidth problem. "Browse" around in there.....

MediaFire

Says 98 Durango wiring diagrams.....

98DN_8W Wiring Diagrams.PDF

Last edited:
It is a 1998 dodge dakota. I can't find a wire diagram for the ecm I had it running with the harness out of the truck and trying to figure out the power supply for the computer and integrated with the jeep

You sure are not looking very hard. Your local O'Reilly has or can get either the Haynes or Chilton repair manual and both have decent wiring diagrams.

You sure are not looking very hard. Your local O'Reilly has or can get either the Haynes or Chilton repair manual and both have decent wiring diagrams.
None of them are actually pinout specs and don't have good layout

None of them are actually pinout specs and don't have good layout

The 98 Durango wiring diagrams I posted CERTAINLY DOES

Example, page 279, this is one of three connectors on the PCM

pinout.jpg

I'm 69 goddamn years old and I'm kicking you kids asses on "use of the internet." Throw your "smart phones" in the desk drawer and get yourself a real laptop with a real keyboard and get to work.

Last week on here some retard accused me of "being angry." Know what I'm angry about? When I was a kid there WAS NO internet, and there WAS NO "free." When I bought my first Mopar, a 69 RR in 1970, I went down to the dealer and PAID HARD MONEY for a factory shop manual. When I bought the 70 V code from a friend, HE ALREADY HAD the factory manual.

I'm 69 goddamn years old and I'm kicking you kids asses on "use of the internet." Throw your "smart phones" in the desk drawer and get yourself a real laptop with a real keyboard and get to work.

Last week on here some retard accused me of "being angry." Know what I'm angry about? When I was a kid there WAS NO internet, and there WAS NO "free." When I bought my first Mopar, a 69 RR in 1970, I went down to the dealer and PAID HARD MONEY for a factory shop manual. When I bought the 70 V code from a friend, HE ALREADY HAD the factory manual.

Yup but you caint tell um anything and when you do, you're an angry old bastard. lol

GOD DAMN I HATE THIS SOFTWARE. All I want to do is post the download LINK just like I USED TO BE ABLE TO DO, not present the damn FILE

Does THIS make the "new software" "happy??"

94_dodge_dakota_complete[1].pdf

NOPE OF COURSE NOT

Hey guys, stop! The original poster started this thread in Sept of 2015 and hasn't been back since. I deleted most of shagsmess's posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back