Wires going to + of coil

-

Dartsun

Mopar Dude
Reaction score
Hello all I'm cleaning up the wiring on my 65 dart 273 with electronic ignition and dual field alternator. I noticed that after my brown ign2 wire goes into ballast I have 2 wire off ballast going into the + of the coil. One short one and one long one. All I need is the one wire correct? Thanks Dustin

Hello all I'm cleaning up the wiring on my 65 dart 273 with electronic ignition and dual field alternator. I noticed that after my brown ign2 wire goes into ballast I have 2 wire off ballast going into the + of the coil. One short one and one long one. All I need is the one wire correct? Thanks Dustin

Sounds right. One is the ignition BLUE, the other is the positive RED from the distributor?? Is this stock or aftermarket distributor?

Jake

Depends on how its wired. The ignition switch feeds 2 wires. 1 hot in start, another hot in run. Typically a blue and a brown. In most cases these 2 wires become only 1 going away from ballast resistor but... both could go to the coil. Current will flow back to the ignition switch in either configuration.

here is the whole electronic upgrade schematic. Its easier to see the entire picture instead of just the ignition when doing the retrofit.
elec.jpg

DTElectronicIgnitionConversion_zps4c5fcec3.jpg

Slide04.gif

I believe someone may have added something. The diagram Pishta posted should be of help The "4 wire" ballast basically does "this:" Bear in mind that 90% of the ignition boxes you run into DON'T NEED the other half of a 4 wire ballast. The other section supplied power to part of the "old style" boxes. Most all replacment boxes, and "later" production is what is called a "4 wire box" as opposed to "5 wire." You cannot always tell by LOOKING as many "4 wire" boxes have FIVE pins.

ALL ballasts whether 2 or 4 pin wire to the coil as in the diagram above. The 4 pin ballasts just supply power off to the ECU

Anyhow, the blue "ignition run" as noted, comes out of the firewall and feeds and branches off (depending on year/ model/ and accessories)

Ignition system ECU

One end (jumpered) of the ballast

The VR "ign" terminal

The blue field wire to the alternator

electric choke if used

smog doo dads some years

idle stop solenoid on a few models, and distributor retard solenoid on some models.

The coil + normally has a radio supression cap mounted as well, to + side of coil.

Now this post may be only "coffee talk" and not apply here but I'll share it anyway. Keep in mind this was way before internet. Auto Zone was Auto Shack.
The owner attempting to upgrade the charging system. Needing additional 12 volt wire to energize the alternator field. Just looking under the hood he had conceived that the closest simplest add-on point was the + side of the coil.
Since the coil doesn't get full 12 volts in run, his result was downgraded charging system.

-
Back