Wiring diagrahm for a 1969 barracuda convertible?

-

fuzzman

Reaction score
Is there a seperate wiring diagrahm for a convertible other than the diagrahm for all three body styles? I'm looking for a diagrahm for a 1969 barracuda convertible. Thanks
Pat Faley
67 Notch back
69 Project Barracuda convertible
East Peoria IL

The only difference is the top switch wiring, which picks up power from the ammeter through the circuit breaker mounted on the side of the switch...Well, the rear courtesy lights are different than roofed cars, but it is only in the wiring from the rear harness.

Jim the reason why I ask is because i stripped out all of the wiring in my 69 convertible and i found two wires that were tied together underneath the dash right around the top swith one was yellow traced and the other was brown they were tied together with a wire connector and the only thing I can come up with is that they might have been tied into some kind of a buzzer and the last owner disconnected it? One thing I forgot to check is to see where they originated from but they are definitely part of the original wiring harness it was the only set of wires out of the whole harness front middle and back that had anything cut into on the harness itself. I can't seem to figure out where they belong so far looking at the 69 barracuda wiring diagrahm. Any suggestions?
Pat Faley
67 notch back
69 vert project
East Peoria IL

There is a yellow with trace that connects to the light switch. The only brown wire I found in the dash harness goes to the left taillight. I'd have to spend some more time with the diagram to figure out what might have been done.

Jim
This weekend i will pull the wire harness out of the storeage box and lay it out on the floor and try to figure out where the two wires originate from and see why they were tied together? I also will have the service manual wiring diagrahm sitting in front of me and report back if i figure it out.
Thanks Jim

Sounds like the map light switch wires. Tied together the map light would operate from the door switch only. The brown was internally grounded by the switch and goes to one side of the map lamp bulb, which manually turned on the map light. The yellow grounds through the door switch. By tying them together the switch was eliminated. Break the connection and see if the map lamp under the dash quits working when you open the door.

The switch would been right next to the conv top swich originally.

The car is a shell right now but i do know that it has a map light and where i found those wires in the dash when I removed it was right by where the top switch is. So you are saying that there was supposed to be a switch located in the area where the top switch is to turn on the map light?
Pat

Yes,,,

Just to the right of it. Is there 2 holes there? One for the switch and a smaller one for the bezel tab?

The factory diagram shows a yellow on one side of the switch and brown on the other side. Yellow with tracer usually is on the second poll of the door switch and is used for the time delay circuit for the ignition switch lamp. Yellow on the other poll of the door switch is the dome lamp circuit. Either one sends chasis ground to the dome/map lamp or time delay relay for ignition lamp.

Gerald
This car was half way torn apart when I got it ecept for the dash area it has a indash clock so next to the top switch was a nob to adjust the clockand i haven't laid all the way down underneath the dash to see if there is another hole down there but it would be nice if someone could post a picture of it so I have an idea what to look for when at a swap meet. Thanks for the replies
Pat Faley

Pat,

It is always possible that some wire was replaced and the color changed. Keep this in mind!

Yellow with tracer was ground signal from door switches to time delay and headlight warning buzzer. Yellow was ground signal from door swiches to dome/courtousy/map lamps. The diagram Rockyj posted is little misleading in the door switchs as it does not cleary show that either wire is shorted to ground
When the switch makes.

The brown near the left hand switch passes through the connector to the body harness and on to the RR stop light and does not connect to the door switch. It also shows the map light switch next to the map light and this is not correct.

When you can, check the maplight and confirm if the brown wire is the same one you found spliced least you will know if you are on the right track. If you have the parts manual it shows the switch locations. The switch looks the same as the top switch.

-
Back