Wiring diagram for 1967 Plymouth AM/FM radio

-

prorac1

Reaction score
It has 4 wires.

Two pairs of two.

IIRC a pink and yellow, and another harness with a blue and brown?

Not finding anything in my wiring schematics or online.

I'm assuming the wires are

1) back light
2) radio power
3) one speaker
4) the other speaker

But I have no clue which is which. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Eric L

Similar to this radio.

IMG_4747.PNG

Red/Pink for radio power
Yellow for tuner light
Blue and Brown for speaker mono sound only but could have fader for two speakers

Last edited:
Only 1 speaker in our 67. Gimme a couple minutes for other wires

Thank you so much sir.

I assumed the speaker wires were left and right positive.

I never thought that they could be for one speaker.

Crap. Lol

Our plan is to run a 40-50 watt EQ/amp between the radio and speakers to boost the signal from the (probably) 3 watt radio. Lol

My schematic has red going to fuse block so that's power. My schematic has orange going to "instrument feed"?? Sorry no speaker(s) on our schematic

Red/Pink for radio power
Yellow for tuner light
Black and Green for speaker mono sound only but could have fader for two speakers

Could you explain to me how to wire the speakers please?

I'm kinda drawing a blank on how to wire them for two speakers now.

Thank you so much for your help

My schematic has red going to fuse block so that's power. My schematic has orange going to "instrument feed"?? Sorry no speaker(s) on our schematic

Yep. Same thing I'm finding on our schematic. Lol. Thank you again for the help

If it helps any, probably very similiar PCB

1965 CircuiTrace Bendix Radio

my radio rebuilder told me the Dodge model had a light that went on when the dash lights went on, but the Valiant just had a power lamp.

wire the amp as a single channel and then run speakers out the amp through a fader if needed, dont run them in series or parallel off the 3W radio as the amp aint the strongest anfd the impedence will change on the speakers.

Last edited:
I cant help with wiring eq. We had our am/fm restored.....$500. I wish we hadn't, radio sucks, like you said 3 or 5 watts. I'm putting a hidden head unit in eventually.
Good luck!

Green is + speaker
Black is - speaker (ground to - battery)

Could you explain to me how to wire the speakers please?

I'm kinda drawing a blank on how to wire them for two speakers now.

Thank you so much for your help

Is the yellow wire really orange? The orange wire is for dash lights.

You can connect speakers up a few different ways.

1. You can connect both speakers together to the black and green. It doesn’t matter how you hook up the positive and negative on the speakers, just do them the same.
2. You can hook up a fader so you can adjust the sound from front to back. There are a lot of fader diagrams on the web.
3. You can hook up a power amp to the output of the radio and get a lot more sound. Wire the two inputs of the amp together. together. I believe the old radios had a ground on one of the speaker wires, probably the black wire. If this is so, you will need a power amp that works with a grounded radio output.

Not a pretty picture by no means, but it will work. You can get a fader from eBay, this is a setup for front and rear speakers mono sound only...

Untitled.png

Red is for power, orange is radio light, green/black are speaker wires. All orange wires in car are instrument lights. Two wires to speaker because the speaker is not grounded. You can ground one terminal and it would become a one wire.

If it helps any, probably very similiar PCB

1965 CircuiTrace Bendix Radio

my radio rebuilder told me the Dodge model had a light that went on when the dash lights went on, but the Valiant just had a power lamp.

wire the amp as a single channel and then run speakers out the amp through a fader if needed, dont run them in series or parallel off the 3W radio as the amp aint the strongest anfd the impedence will change on the speakers.

Green is + speaker
Black is - speaker (ground to - battery)

Thank you so much for the help guys.

I haven't messed with a stereo on 25 years. Lol.

Looks like this is going to be a little more complicated than I initially thought. Lol

Red is for power, orange is radio light, green/black are speaker wires. All orange wires in car are instrument lights. Two wires to speaker because the speaker is not grounded. You can ground one terminal and it would become a one wire.

^^THIS^^

So essentially what we would be doing is dividing the wattage output by using both wires as hot?

Than run both hots through an amp, and out of the amp to the speakers?

Ground speakers negative terminal to body ground?

Is this thinking correct?

I just automatically assumed since it was an FM radio that it was set up for two speakers.

So essentially what we would be doing is dividing the wattage output by using both wires as hot?

Than run both hots through an amp, and out of the amp to the speakers?

Ground speakers negative terminal to body ground?

Is this thinking correct?

No. It is simple. The radio box is ground. There is no separate ground wire. The red wire goes to switched 12V IE accessory. That powers the radio. The orange wire ties in with other orange wiring in the car, which is dash dimmer controlled dash illumination

The other two are speaker. You should check continuity to the radio case, one of them may or may not be grounded to the case and probably is. You must be careful with this if you are going to an "amp" but I don't know why you would do that with an old mono radio. If you DO use an amp you are going to have to find out if the input to your amplifier is grounded on one side. "It might not" sound all that good because an amplifier input is low level, and what you have there is fairly high output coming out of the car radio. That will be an experiment. Also, radios are not designed to be operated without a speaker "load." Sometimes this can damage audio output circuits

No. It is simple. The radio box is ground. There is no separate ground wire. The red wire goes to switched 12V IE accessory. That powers the radio. The orange wire ties in with other orange wiring in the car, which is dash dimmer controlled dash illumination

The other two are speaker. You should check continuity to the radio case, one of them may or may not be grounded to the case and probably is. You must be careful with this if you are going to an "amp" but I don't know why you would do that with an old mono radio. If you DO use an amp you are going to have to find out if the input to your amplifier is grounded on one side. "It might not" sound all that good because an amplifier input is low level, and what you have there is fairly high output coming out of the car radio. That will be an experiment. Also, radios are not designed to be operated without a speaker "load." Sometimes this can damage audio output circuits

Thank you very much for all the help. I really appreciate it.

I guess I never thought about the ramifications of amplifying a mono signal from a radio. All I've ever worked with the stereo head unit.

I think we're going to take that advice and just run the speakers directly off the radio. We're going to put a multi meter on the speaker wires and see if one is ground today. I will report back.

If one is hot and one is ground and I split them to two speakers, what ohm 6 x 9's should I be looking for?

Again, thank you very much for the help. I was totally overthinking this. LOL. My father tried to warn me. LOL

The radio was likely designed to drive a single 8 ohm speaker. Those are hard to find in typical car audio stores. Most car speakers these days are between 2 and 4 ohms.
The correct way to wire the radio to a pair of 4 ohm speakers would be in series.
Green wire to positive terminal of speaker 1.
Negative terminal of speaker 1 to positive terminal of speaker 2.
Black wire to negative terminal of speaker 2.
This will result in the speakers being wired in proper polarity, and will present an 8 ohm load to the radio.
The power delivered from the radio will be split by 50% going to each speaker. Those radios were good for about 6 watts total.

If you attempt to connect a pair of 4 ohm speakers to it wired in parallel, that would result in a 2 ohm load, and you will likely damage the output circuit of the radio.

I would not suggest connecting an amplifier to this radio. Technically it is possible, but you need to check and understand a few fairly technical things first to avoid any damage.

Last edited:
From the data I'm reading, the single speaker is an eight ohm.

So the way I would be wiring them I think I would need (2) 8 ohm speakers.

-
Back