wiring diagram for ignition

-
Wiring diagrams are in the Factory Service Manual
What is it you need to know?
Key on energizes the blue wire,
Start position energizes the brown wire (bypassing the ballast)

Alan

im getting rid of the point distributor and putting in aftermarket electronic . want to use as much of the stock wiring as i can

You will probably need key-on 12v, that is the blue wire on the voltage regulator and the ballast.
Depending on the coil you use you may not need the ballast.

Alan

Here. Different switch wiring but that doesn’t matter. Tap into the ballast at the same place.

71DartIgnitionWiring.jpg

im getting rid of the point distributor and putting in aftermarket electronic . want to use as much of the stock wiring as i can

Posted this a skillion times. Go to MyMopar and download the factory service manual free. In addition, there are aftermarket diagrams there. You need to basically do the following:

Use the factory coil + wire to power your new ignition IF IT does not use a ballast resistor, and then jumper all wiring currently on the ballast resistor together.

It's more than the blue "run" wire, BECAUSE

The blue "run" wire GOES DEAD during cranking. There's an additional wire that comes from the key and goes to the coil+ side of the ballast, this is the coil resistor "bypass" circuit, and IS THE ONLY power hot during "cranking"

There's an ignition & charging diagram for the '67 Barracuda on my website, bottom of the page on Charging Circuit with Ammeter. Its right from the '67 Barracuda supplement, but with the other circuits removed for clarity.
here -> Charge System Wiring Diagram, 67 Barracuda

Posted this a skillion times. ...
The blue "run" wire GOES DEAD during cranking. There's an additional wire that comes from the key and goes to the coil+ side of the ballast, this is the coil resistor "bypass" circuit, and IS THE ONLY power hot during "cranking"
I thought a megaskillion times.
To bypass the ballast resistor w/o hacking up your factory wiring (sounds like your plan), just unplug the 2 connectors and insert a male-male copper terminal. If you can't find one, rig a short jumper w/ 2 males. Those connectors are termed "56 Terminal" or "Packard 56" (or is it "57", forget) and used in old GM & Mopar. You also find them in appliances and such where usually termed "spade terminals". You can find in bubble packs at auto parts or order on ebay or auto wiring websites.

Why? Dwell is more consistent from the git go with the points. People say starting takes more turns with electronic.

-
Back