Wiring Dual Electric Fans Question.

-

rklein383

Reaction score
I am not sure if I want to wire my two fans so that they kick on together or have two sensors so that the fans kick on at different temps. The down side to two sensors is a little more cost and a little more wiring. What is the downside on having both fans kick on at the same temp?

Thanks,
Rod

IMG_3720.JPG

You should wire your two fans together. You want the cooling capacity.They will turn on and off with a relay as required by your temp sensor.

Or you could split the startup amps load by having them come on at different temps. (even if those temps are close together)

Keep in mind that fans usually come on when the RPM's are lowest and available amps are scarce.

I am not sure if I want to wire my two fans so that they kick on together or have two sensors so that the fans kick on at different temps. The down side to two sensors is a little more cost and a little more wiring. What is the downside on having both fans kick on at the same temp?

Thanks,
Rod

View attachment 1715152617
I wired one to the sensor and one on a toggle that could be turned on when needed

There are some fan controllers that use a single temp sensor to control two fans. Once the engine hits the set temp it switches the first fan on and then after a delay (10 seconds I think) will switch on the second thus minimising the current load. Davies Craig markets a couple over here in OZ but I am sure there are others.

Cheers
Anthony

After researching a bit....I am going with an adjustable thermostat to kick on both fans at once and a circuit to allow the AC to kick on the fans whenever the AC switch is on. I am also going to put in an override switch inside the cab so I can turn the fans on whenever I want to. Thanks for the input. Rod

-
Back