Wiring/ecm/pcm/etc. interchangeability?

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m planning on doing a full magnum swap like @BadAss71 did in his 71 Dart. I’ll be in all the wiring, cluster, hvac, headlight switch, etc. I really like the horizontal hvac controls of the 00-01 Dakota over the vertical controls of the Ram/Durango’s.

So my question, would I be able to use everything out of a ram parts pickup but then use the dash harness from Dakota?

Obviously the ideal thing to do would be buy a 5.2/5.9 dakota and use everything from that but I have 2 neighbors that has a few ram parts trucks so I may be able to buy one for pretty cheap. (Haven’t asked yet.)

Thanks for any help!

The short answer is yes, sort of.
The reality is you will find different harness connections, so they won't just plug in and work, but if you have both harnesses from both donor vehicles you can make it work by changing the connectors as needed.
The electrical version of the manual AC and heater controls are regular switches, so wiring those in to work is simple once you have wiring diagrams for both donors.
The real question is, what exactly are you trying to build? Is this going to be an A body with factory heater/AC case under the dash or are you trying to put a Ram or Dakota heater/AC case under the dash and mount the Dakota controls in the A body dash?

The short answer is yes, sort of.
The reality is you will find different harness connections, so they won't just plug in and work, but if you have both harnesses from both donor vehicles you can make it work by changing the connectors as needed.
The electrical version of the manual AC and heater controls are regular switches, so wiring those in to work is simple once you have wiring diagrams for both donors.
The real question is, what exactly are you trying to build? Is this going to be an A body with factory heater/AC case under the dash or are you trying to put a Ram or Dakota heater/AC case under the dash and mount the Dakota controls in the A body dash?
The plan is to use as much as possible from the ram/dakota in my Duster. For instance, BadAss71 used the engine, trans, accessory’s, gauge cluster, hvac box, all the A/C lines, condenser, fuel pump, headlight switch and wiring, tail light wiring, etc from the donor ram he used, I’d be doing something very similar to that.

Start by getting the wiring diagrams for both donor vehicles. If you already know the model years of each, you'll be better off since small changes often take place each model year. Dodges were pretty similar in wiring and function though, so it won't be too bad.
Should make for a really nice street cruiser, for sure.

Thanks. It’ll be awhile before I buy any donors due to lack of funds and not doing this swap till winter. When the time comes, if possible, I’ll buy a v8 dakota donor but if I end up needing to buy a ram I’ll definitely get all the diagrams from both donors.

I already have an AX15 5 speed behind my carbed 5.9 magnum so I’ll probably keep running that as well instead of the automatic unless I get a 2wd donor and decide to go to an automatic.

-
Back