Wiring ignition switch

-

Docmcg

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve got a ‘65 A100 pickup, and am just now starting to rewire with a new harness I got from E-Z Wiring some time back. There are five wires coming from the fuse block going to the ignition switch. They are labeled; ign sw coil; ign sw acc; ign sw ign; ign sw power; and coil positive. The back of my ignition switch has six terminals. Which wires go to witch terminal?
1A8B7218-58D2-49F2-BAA4-F7DCA2A9F6C9.jpeg

Mopar switches work somewhat different than Ford or GM. You would do well do download "any" service manual from MyMopar in 64ish through 68ish and compare, if you don't have one.

Several terminals are well marked, bat, acc, and ground which you normally don't need

IGN1 is the "ignition run" and traditionally fed "everything" that was switched under the hood, IE ignition ballast, the voltage regulator, the alternator field on 70/ later, and some smog doo dads or electric choke if used. IT IS WISE to use this terminal to trigger a Bosch style relay, then use the relay to power that stuff

Your wiring harness may or may not have a separate wire for the alternator but you need to check that out.

IGN2 goes out to the coil+ side of the ballast. This gives you "full battery" power when cranking to start the engine. It is IMPORTANT to realize, that during start/ cranking, IGN1 GOES DEAD. So IGN2 is the ONLY source of starting power

IF YOU are using an ignition system, such as MSD, which does not use a ballast, you need to tie IGN1 and IGN2 together at some point

I mentioned Ford and GM. They accomplish the "IGN2" function, that is, ballast resistor bypass, with the "I" terminal on the starter solenoid or contactor (Ford) on the fender That terminal on the solenoid, just like IGN2, goes right to coil+

-
Back