WIRING NIGHTMARE

-

Frodee

Off center a bit
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna start rewiring my 73 Scamp just under the hood for now, from the fire wall forward. Everything works just fine but by the looks of it something will short out soon and can't afford a new wiring harness I think the price was 800** for the kit so I'm gonna try to build my own harness. It looks pretty simple but I've done things that look simple and found out it's harder than it looks. Sooo any ideas would be a great help.

You using stock harness going back in? if so, it's easy.

You using stock harness going back in? if so, it's easy.
pretty much stock only other thing going on under the hood is nitros and line lock. No AC. what would be the best wire and ends to use

I used to build harnesses from a schematic one of one thing for a motor controller company.
There is a couple ways to do it, build a new right next to the old one in the car then remove the old one.
Or take the harness out of the car and nail it to a piece of plywood, cut off the wrapping then replace the wires one by one. Something like this.

`45 HUP Harness 5.JPG

I used to build harnesses from a schematic one of one thing for a motor controller company.
There is a couple ways to do it, build a new right next to the old one in the car then remove the old one.
Or take the harness out of the car and nail it to a piece of plywood, cut off the wrapping then replace the wires one by one. Something like this.

View attachment 1715138194
got it that makes it easey

X2 on the plywood. Lay it out and use finishing nails to hold it in place. Replace one wire at a time and rewrap with non-adhesive tape just like the factory did. ELLIOTT ET501, 1" BLACK NONADHESIVE TAPE, HIGH TEMP VINYL WIRE HARNESS OEM FS | eBay

View attachment 1715138209

Your FSM is your friend here. It will tell you the color and size of each wire.

You can buy some supplies and good quality wire by the foot from these guys: Rhode Island Wiring Service Inc.
not sure about the nonadhesive tape got some but what does it do

not sure about the nonadhesive tape got some but what does it do
Since it doesn't stick to the wiring, it's easier to change or troubleshoot any of the wiring. It's neater when done too... The factory did it that way.

Since it doesn't stick to the wiring, it's easier to change or troubleshoot any of the wiring. It's neater when done too... The factory did it that way.
thanks I can see how that works. My next question would be the wire is in different colors is that something I need to fallow or is it ok to use a different color wire. not looking for trying to keep it original

Some pictures in my post on the IFSJA board for harness repairs - mostly Packard 56 connectors like our A bodies. International Full Size Jeep Association - View Single Post - Cold Temp/humidity sensitive Ignition
The Packard 56 are decent design with wide flat spring loaded contact area on the female terminals.
Sure there's better sealing ones today if you want to go that route, but these aren't bad.
My suggestions for a good job whether its selective repair or 100% new wires and terminals:
Tools:
Good set of crimpers for "open barrel" terminals from 18 to at least 12, preferably 10 or 8 gage.
The larger ones can come into use when joining two wires at a terminal. Astro sells a nice compound action crimper but the jaws are two wide for the male terminals. :( American Autowire sells a slightly a set of proper crimpers, slightly less expensive than the real thing.
Terminal removal tool. Seems silly when a cotter pin or small screw driver will do, but they do save time and minimize damage. I think they are worth it. Best in use is the single prong version. Multi-prongs sometimes interfere with the adjacent terminal cavities.
Wire stripper
Screw driver. May still need to use this for removing the male terminals.

Materials
Wire: My preference is from a marine supply center. Slight more copper, Tinned surface, insulation suitable for engine compartments. They also have a ton of colors and can cut what is needed. Second preference for engine compartment is with insulation for that environment (heat and oil) such as GXL or (IIRC) THWN rated insulation. Otherwise GPT (general purpose primary) is fine.

Terminals and Connectors: I've bought Packard 56 from Waytek Wire amongst others. There does seem to be slight differences such as whether they are tinned. The male terminals also seem to vary in dimensions?? I didn't notice that until working on the Jeep - but I;d try to find some that are same length as origin l and have the little tabs. (see pic in my first link for comparison of what I found on the Jeep). If the original connector (housing) are OK I reuse them.

Design:
There's no way in hell I would run the original a-body wire sizes to the headlights. If you're not going to a headlight relay system, increase all of the headlight wires to the next larger size.

Connector ID Guide:Automotive Electrical Connectors

Last edited:
Some pictures in my post on the IFSJA board for harness repairs - mostly Packard 56 connectors like our A bodies. International Full Size Jeep Association - View Single Post - Cold Temp/humidity sensitive Ignition
The Packard 56 are decent design with wide flat spring loaded contact area on the female terminals.
Sure there's better sealing ones today if you want to go that route, but these aren't bad.
My suggestions for a good job whether its selective repair or 100% new wires and terminals:
Tools:
Good set of crimpers for "open barrel" terminals from 18 to at least 12, preferably 10 or 8 gage.
The larger ones can come into use when joining two wires at a terminal. Astro sells a nice compound action crimper but the jaws are two wide for the male terminals. :( American Autowire sells a slightly a set of proper crimpers, slightly less expensive than the real thing.
Terminal removal tool. Seems silly when a cotter pin or small screw driver will do, but they do save time and minimize damage. I think they are worth it. Best in use is the single prong version. Multi-prongs sometimes interfere with the adjacent terminal cavities.
Wire stripper

Materials
Wire: My preference is from a marine supply center. Slight more copper, Tinned surface, insulation suitable for engine compartments. They also have a ton of colors and can cut what is needed. Second preference for engine compartment is with insulation for that environment (heat and oil) such as GXL or (IIRC) THWN rated insulation. Otherwise GPT (general purpose primary) is fine.

Terminals and Connectors: I've bought Packard 56 from Waytek Wire amongst others. There does seem to be slight differences such as whether they are tinned. The male terminals also seem to vary in dimensions?? I didn't notice that until working on the Jeep - but I;d try to find some that are same length as origin l and have the little tabs. (see pic in my first link for comparison of what I found on the Jeep). If the original connector (housing) are OK I reuse them.

Design:
There's no way in hell I would run the original a-body wire sizes to the headlights. If you're not going to a headlight relay system, increase all of the headlight wires to the next larger size.

now that helped me lots. and will use what you sent me. thank you.

thanks I can see how that works. My next question would be the wire is in different colors is that something I need to fallow or is it ok to use a different color wire. not looking for trying to keep it original
That's up to you to do it however you want to, but doing it with the factory colors might make it easier now and easier down the road if you have an issue.

My
That's up to you to do it however you want to, but doing it with the factory colors might make it easier now and easier down the road if you have an issue.
well looking at all the different color wire sure seems to me that I'm not gonna find in my price range the right color. and I agree that it it would make it better

Absolutely use original colors! No offense here (I ain't no electrical guru) but you ask a question about replacing wires. Which indicates (again no offense) electrical isn't your strong suit. Now you want all the wires all one(maybe 2 or 3 colors)???
Can you imagine 6 months down the road tracking down a wiring problem? Then asking for help on here?
Screw that do the proper colors or go buy some markers.
Again no offense

Absolutely use original colors! No offense here (I ain't no electrical guru) but you ask a question about replacing wires. Which indicates (again no offense) electrical isn't your strong suit. Now you want all the wires all one(maybe 2 or 3 colors)???
Can you imagine 6 months down the road tracking down a wiring problem? Then asking for help on here?
Screw that do the proper colors or go buy some markers.
Again no offense
No offense taken and you do have a good point it would be very hard to track down a bad wire and would cost me more in the long run than trying to save money now. I really do thank you all for your info. It has been a big help I sure wish you all were my neighbor

check out S&G crimpers. Very good price and you get a nice hard case with about 5 different interchangeable dies. One set is a quick change die and another is regular-I have the quick change set and love em. I also use all TXL wire or GXL wire. The best source I've found is wirebarn...good prices and quality. If someone has the patience and time they can build their own. In that case, so you can get many different colors without having to buy many rolls of wire, I suggest looking at the local junkyard for a late model van or other "long" car and cut out the wire and use that..of course you'll want to draw your own wiring diagram so you know what goes where if the time comes. I bought ron francis express wiring kit. It's not necessary to spend 800 or more for a kit that EXACTLY fits your car (yearone). I think I paid 400 for the ron francis kit on sale. Reuse your old plastic connectors. I recommend the no stick wire tape as well along with 3m shrink wrap with the glue inside.

Tools:
Wire stripper

Materials

Design:

now that helped me lots. and will use what you sent me. thank you.
Heh. The link to my post was the wrong one (fixed it now). This is the one with the pictures.
International Full Size Jeep Association - View Single Post - Cold Temp/humidity sensitive Ignition

Its nice to find a place that has lots of wire in differentcolors they will sell by the foot. If you have no boating places, I'm not sure what other business might do that.

Depending on the type of damage you find, you may be able to keep much of it.
Hard, brittle, cracked insulation either replace the wire, or if its just a small section, remove terminal, slip some high temperature heat shrink tubing on that part.
Frayed wires at the terminals. May be able to just snip the terminal and replace.
But if the wire is all corroded or oxidized up when the insulation stripped - not good.
Dirty or slightly oxidized terminals - clean. With the terminals out of the connector housing this is pretty easy.

I thought I was going to find a ton of bad wires in the jeep, and it ended up being just a few - mostly at connections and places where the wiring got too much heat.

Last edited:
I'd try to mirror the OEM wire colors so you are consistent with OEM wiring schematics.

You are going to rack up a fairly substantial wire bill buying all the colors and length you need. Keep that in mind and compare with buying an already built harness.

Some colors may be difficult to find and trace colors are tough. There are specialty wire houses that will put trace colors on, but, usually have a large minimum qty.

Don't be afraid to upsize wires that carry significant loads or put relays in a stealthy location like I do with my headlight relay kits.

Mattax has some great suggestions and I will say stay FAR away from any wire manufactured in china... Seen wire that was 12ga OD and 16 ga wire inside, shady stuff. Stick with US made wire if you can even though it may cost a bit more.

There are folks on ebag selling "wire bundles" of 10-11 colors of various ga. high temp insulation. This is not a bad way to buy multi colors. The ones at the parts store are a rape kit

Usually more like $250 for "engine harness" and $200 for headlight harness. 3rd is wiper, which are short wires. If "easy", they would be priced less. The headlight might be better custom because then you can add relays like many do. Other things to consider are the "MAD Bypass" and a relay for ignition power, as many here do. I totally rewired my 2 A's, installing a modern fuse/relay box. If you don't care about original, can skip the vinyl tape and use smooth tubing or loom.

Usually more like $250 for "engine harness" and $200 for headlight harness. 3rd is wiper, which are short wires. If "easy", they would be priced less. The headlight might be better custom because then you can add relays like many do. Other things to consider are the "MAD Bypass" and a relay for ignition power, as many here do. I totally rewired my 2 A's, installing a modern fuse/relay box. If you don't care about original, can skip the vinyl tape and use smooth tubing or loom.
thanks Bill the relay sounds like a good idea.

Just buy the engine and light harnes for now that should be under 300 if you get a 30%off code from year one the only other one you need is the wiper nss switch. I would do that and it would be plug and play. Then later do the rear tail light the the under dash harness that is the expensive one.

-
Back