wiring schematic for dual radiator fans.

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I am mocking up my engine and wiring before i blow it all back apart and start smoothing , sanding and painting my engine compartment.

Ran into a bit of a problem i had bought an aluminum radiator, and man is this thing thick. With my water pump and pump pulley there is probably no way i can install a clutch fan. I had originally planned on a clutch fan and radiator shroud from an 89 fury lll thats in my local boneyard.

I am now contemplating two 10" diameter 1,500 cfm electric fans on a custom made aluminum plate mount. I was thinking dual relays, a temperature probe in my intake manifold, maybe a manual override switch under the dash.

Anybody know how to wire this up? Have maybe a schematic to share. I decided on the dual 10" fans since a large single would hit my water pump pulley being dead center and all.

Thanks
Matt

What width radiator you running? 22" or 26"???

I had the same problem with a 22" radiator and thought the fix was the electrics and a shroud. I could not get the 10" to mount directly to the radiator because it was not big enough. I made up the shroud and it mounted up great, but I had over heating problems with it. I could not get enough air flow thru it so make sure you have plenty of holes cut for air flow thru the shroud and fans.

Otherwise try running the Hayden clutch #2765. Its shorter than the Mopar clutch and may allow you to run your mechanical. That is what I swapped back to after the shroud deal.

If you want the wiring here is just one way to do it.. Scroll down. I do however recommend using a fan controller and relays.

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/md/html/fan_control.php

Thank you. I would prefer to run a clutch fan as 4 bolts are much simpler that dealing with wiring up electrics. I had planned on putting additional bypass holes in my electric fan mount plate.

Do you have any dimensions on the hayden viscous clutch unit? Not sure if in your response you were saying you used a single 10" fan, or dual 10" fans.

The radiator is a 22" made by engineered cooling products. I got the one made for 73 - 76 A body since it has the inlets and outlets in the correct locations for my 78 model 360 i plan on using. The flanges were a different story. They do not allow this radiator to be a bolt in fit for a 1967 A body radiator support. I made new flanges that are correct for my year, i plan on riveting the new flanges oveelapped to the old ones with some MS20470AD 6-6 rivets now that i have cut the excess old flange material away. Everything is currently being held together with cleco pins.

I ran dual fans with my set up,

Here is what I found on Haydens site. Important Numbers in Red
#2765 Clutch
Bolt Thread 5/16" - 18
Bolt Thread 5/16-18 Hole
Clutch Type B - Non-Thermal & Std Thermal
Description Fan Clutches
Duty Rating Standard
Fan Bolt Circle "IN" 3.250
Fan Mount Dia. "IN" 2.62
Fan Mount Dia. "IN" 2.621
Fan Mount Height "IN" 1.09375
Meets or Exceeds OEM Specs? Yes
Mount Dia. "IN" 2.32
Mount Type Flange
Original Equipment Replacement? Yes
Overall Dia. "IN" 7.200
Overall Height "IN" 2.671875
Performance Rated? Yes
Pilot Depth "IN" 0.560
Pilot Dia. "IN" 0.75
Rotation STD
Style Standard Duty
Type Thermal

Mopar Clutch
Bolt Quantity 4
Bolt Thread 5/16" - 18
Bolt Thread 5/16-18 Hole
Clutch Type B - Non-Thermal & Std Thermal
Description Fan Clutches
Duty Rating Non-Thermal
Fan Bolt Circle "IN" 3.250
Fan Mount Dia. "IN" 2.62
Fan Mount Height "IN" 1.750
Meets or Exceeds OEM Specs? Yes
Mount Dia. "IN" 2.59
Mount Type Flange
Original Equipment Replacement? Yes
Overall Dia. "IN" 7.200
Overall Height "IN" 3.328125
Performance Rated? Yes
Pilot Depth "IN" 1.03125
Pilot Dia. "IN" 0.63
Type Non-Thermal

Hi straightline speed,

According to Hayden its a fan clutch for a Shaguar oh baby behave.

However it looks like thats the one. It gives me a tick under 3/4" worth of room from the fan to the radiator.

Thank you
Matt

Eggzactly! Make sure when you get it that there is a small brass bushing, also use that. It helps center the clutch. Hope that helps you out!

Its actually pretty amazing that the bolt circle, and thread pitch for a 1990 jaguar 4.0L 6 cylinder on one of these would be spot on. Can i assume then that it comes with an adaptor bushing in the box with it ??

Found one on rock auto for $30 plus $9 shipping, and all over evilbay for about $40-$45

Yes, it does come with that bushing. Just when you get it make sure its in there.. Otherwise it will be tough to get centered. I believe I paid that same price at the local parts store. It may be worth checking there first.

-
Back