Witch gas cap?

-

72demon96

Reaction score
Which gas cap would be correct for my 72 demon? thanks

67CE9355-A034-4A1A-BF9F-E6DADDDE2B18.jpeg

Last edited:
Top one, depending on what the design is on the backside. Filler cap/tube design varies depending on year, as well as some possible variations dependent on destination/location emissions requirements.

Second one is aftermarket type which may functionally work, but not factory piece, and again depending on what design is on the backside.

If the back design is wrong, it will typically not mount, fit loosely, or not lock properly.

Post some pics of the backside, and we can further confirm.

Do both mount to your 72, and is the fit easy yet snug?

Last edited:
When I first got my 75 it had a gas cap like the gray one in your photo that was painted the same color as the cars body. The other cap looks like a much newer replacement, perhaps even a generic one.

I managed to loose mine at a gas station many years ago so now it has a chrome replacement, but I plan to replace it with the correct one before the car gets painted.

While the outsides were slightly different, the biggest deal by far is that they match the filler neck on the backside.

Abody Gas Caps 67-70,70 Cal and 71,72-74,75-76.jpg

Abhhhhhh, so that’s why my caps wobbled! Dang I wish I knew that 30 years ago!

@72demon96

Witch which is what?

:rofl:

Which one fits tightly?
And likely more important ..............Have you done any mods to the tank evap system, IE the "carbon can?" There will be a 1/4" tube from the tank to the engine bay, and whatever else you do IT MUST be left open. Many guys plumb it into the air filter bonnet to help prevent smell. IT IS the vent to the tank in those years

Those caps are NOT vented. They are "pressure vacuum" and merely relieve excessive pressure in either direction.

-
Back