WOO-HOO, I got AIR!!!!!

-

GotDart

Reaction score
I got the NOS A/C clutch I bought from eBay today. It took all of 15 minutes to install it. Cranked her up, hit the switch, and wha-la... coooool air coming from the vents. :mrgreen: :glasses8: :mrgreen: :glasses8: :mrgreen: :glasses8: :mrgreen: :glasses8:

Keep you fingers crossed for me, maybe it will last for a while. :glasses8:

Air conditioning is good to have. Bet it's really good to have in TX.. It's hotter than a festered. Well, anyway, it's hot here in Orygun today. Glad you got it working. Ray

I just took a 30 minute cruise to see if it really did work. Of course it's after dark, but it's still 85 degrees out and probably 90% humidity since we had rain all day. Well, on MaxA/C and the lowest fan setting it was downright cold. :D :D It sucks not having side vents though.... I nearly froze my right knee off. :shock: Anyway, the true test will come tomorrow at lunchtime.

Congrats. GD,the only air in my Scamp is open window's and vents.It gets hot as hell in it in the summer.I need to get some better insulation under the carpet,i get a lot of heat off the header's and trans.

Well it didn't do so well during the heat of the day. I put a thermometer in the vent to monitor temps while driving. This morning it got down as low as 38°, not too bad. But at lunchtime the best it could do was 46° and that was only when the car was moving at 45mph or better. At a stop-light, the temp would rise to the mid 50's. So the condensor cannot dissipate the heat well enough.

I'm going to try adding an electric fan in front of the condensor to see if that will help. The problem with this is the center support brace that goes from the hood latch down to the bottom of the radiator support. The front valance is attached to this support in a couple places. This severely limits the space available to work with. I picked up a 10" Hayden fan at O'Rielley on the way home from work. But after sticking it in there for a test fit, there is no place it will fit flush up against the condensor core. I either need to remove that brace entirely, or do some serious cutting on it. If I could remove it, then I could probably go up to a 14" or maybe even 16" fan. Has anyone tried removing this brace? Any problems doing so?

Those temps don't sound so bad, you cannot check it at full blower speed for accurate results and you need to remember it is only designed to drop the temp of ambient a certain number of degrees.

Yeah, I understand that six pack. I am checking temps at the lowest fan speed on MaxA/C. What I am looking at is the difference between standing still at a light vs cruising at 40mph. It seems obvious that increased airflow over the condensor would boost the performance (at zero forward speed). And I'm not complaining, it was comfortable as long as the car is moving. I think this is a pretty common problem on older systems converted to 134a refrigerant.

-
Back