wood shed suggestions

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
hey guys

growing up I had an old wood shed in the back of my parents house, nothing fancy, but it was my fortress, sometimes it was my castle, sometimes it was my army base (and when I grew into my teens, it became a bar, but were not going there now)

anyway, there is a wooded lot behind my backyard, and my 6 year old likes to run around and play in there

ive been thinking for a while it would be cool if he had a little fortress like I used to, so I'm thinking of putting in an 8X8 shed for him

I got my eye on this one
http://www.menards.com/main/prescott-8-x-8-storage-building-kit-only/p-1444432030319.htm
I figured, if I add two 48X48 inch windows on each side that should be plenty of light

apart from actually having this to play in, I intend to make him help me build it and paint it
so hes actually doing something productive this summer

any thoughts, suggestions or ideas?

everything is expensive. especially lumber. around here , rural America, there are maybe 6 co. that manu. barn tin. it is crimped from a huge roll of flat. ( $50-60/ square. no rot, last forever. they sell windows for bout $75 each. I would go to Menards or where ever, buy the treated 4 x 4's, some 2 x's, nails, metal screws, and go at it. better building, probably cheaper.
buy their kit, and you will paint it every other year, hail will destroy the roof shingles, .... you won a skill ( circular) saw right? hammer?

but like you said, great for the boy to learn to do something besides electronic game scrap. it will be his small man - man cave!!!

I bought a similar kit 26 years ago. I must have done something wrong because I fell a few studs short. Funny you mention this because this weekend I just moved it to my current house still in good shape with needing a repaint.

I.ve always had a wooden shed until last year when we put up an aluminum, bolt together, divorce in a box shed. Built a proper wood deck on crushed stone, and put one up at my son's place, only did it for space and it was cheaper than wood.

If I was going to build one now and my sons were young children it would be wood because they would destroy this aluminum one.

thanks for the advice guys

I did notice metal (or probably more tincan material) is a lot cheaper, but the two reasons I wanted to go with wood is because I can work with it easier (as in, add the windows, and because I want my boy to be out there swinging hammers with me
plus, having him paint it each year, well, ill just consider that rent

also, it it is wood, I don't need to worrie about him taking a hammer and nails to the inside and "modifying"it

well, I pulled the trigger on it today
also ordered two 48X36 windows with it, which will be the only deviation from the building plans

I went ahead and made a clearing in the wooded area behind our house today, and tomorrow I'm picking up some left over pea gravel from a project at church, to use as a foundation

ill keep you guys posted (in case anyone cares)

well, I pulled the trigger on it today
also ordered two 48X36 windows with it, which will be the only deviation from the building plans

I went ahead and made a clearing in the wooded area behind our house today, and tomorrow I'm picking up some left over pea gravel from a project at church, to use as a foundation

ill keep you guys posted (in case anyone cares)
Sounds like a cool project! Please post lots of pics as you go and especially let us know how the little man likes it. These are the kind of things that build bonds and memories that will shape his life and stay with him forever!

:thumbsup:

Sounds like a cool project! Please post lots of pics as you go and especially let us know how the little man likes it. These are the kind of things that build bonds and memories that will shape his life and stay with him forever!

:thumbsup:

will do
I may even pick him up his own hammer for this project

added bonus: there is no way a computer game can compete with this

ok, whats the deal with kids nowadays?

I got up, had me a cup of coffee
shoveled 30 wheelbarrows of pea gravel onto my trailer
swung by a buddies house to pick up some moisture barrier
went from this

to this

THROUGH this
(with 29 wheel barrows of pea gravel)

to accomplish this

sat down on the couch, with my second cup of coffee to post all this...and my boy is still ASLEEP

I made it exactly to the point I hoped to get to today, I got the floor done, and leveled (as a matter of fact, the floor is closer to level then a certain member on FABO)

here are a few shots

building the floor frame

straightening up a bend nail

and finishing up the floor

what really excited me is that my little girl was such a big help too
she didn't swing any hammers but she can hand you nails like nobodies business
(oh, and cookies too, she can get the from grandma when no one else can)

my boy was getting tired of it by the end, but I think we made a lot of progress and stuck to the schedule

the real challenge will be tomorrow when I have to alter the sidewalls and frames in order to accept the windows

Hey thos epics of your kids helping you on the shed made me smile this morning! Looks like you have some great help!! Good luck on the old woodshed.... I visited our woodshed a few time with my dad and a paddle :)

it sure was fun so far
and it was a blast having both of them help

I'm afraid I will be a little more on my own today, I intend to build both sidewall, which would be pretty straightforward if it weren't for the windows I'm adding

that may be a little to technical for the kids

one a side note, we had some rain last night and I had all the wood laying outside
hopefully that wont affect it any

Never liked the wood shed as a kid. Whenever I went there I couldn't sit down for a week.
Yote
I'm familiar with the expression, I just never got it
if my kids misbehave were not taking a trip out back, I will handle it right where we are (unless of course were in public, I have no intention of humiliating the boy)

so, sidewalls, WITH windows...one down, one framed and ready to be finished

basic frame, modified to fit a window

leveled off, and window installed

and done (just sitting of the side, so I don't trip over it)

and the outside view (I will add window trim later)

finished it up a while ago (still in primer though)
but since I mentioned it in another thread I figured I would toss some mew pictures up here

so, here we go...got the walls up

rafters installed, and ready for the roof

speaking of roof...

only project that was left that needed some attention was the door
I wanted to install a window in there as well to have some more light come in, and make it look more like a house then a shed

I figured the easiest way to do it, was to get out the skill saw and cut a hole in the door, one inch smaller on every side then the window I bought
(lexan, but this is a car forum after all)

then I got out the router and ran a one inch bed around it, for the glass to lay on

then I got myself some 2 inch trim, to hide the bed and frame the "glass" in nicely

and finally, with everything installed

Cool stuff! Looks great. But the tape on the nose almost looks like it has a story to tell...........?? :)

Cool stuff! Looks great. But the tape on the nose almost looks like it has a story to tell...........?? :)

not as great a story as you would think
he just started taking tea kwon do, and between each belt there are 3 black tips
the red tape gets put on if he passes day one of tip testing
if he passes day two, the red tape gets replaced with black

he likes to hold on to the red ones and wear them, well like that

not as great a story as you would think
he just started taking tea kwon do, and between each belt there are 3 black tips
the red tape gets put on if he passes day one of tip testing
if he passes day two, the red tape gets replaced with black

he likes to hold on to the red ones and wear them, well like that
my dad didn`t need a wood shed, he`d kick my *** anywhere !!----LOL

I had my boy pic out the paint (I was planning on painting the whole thing red, since I had that paint kicking around)

and I put my little girl to work painting

1474560689_zpsfmqeaq4g.jpg

1474560708_zpsrlynexym.jpg

-
Back