Worth it?

-

DodgeLad

Skipped the Light Fandango
Reaction score
Rebuild say .030 over bumping the compression to 9:1 and an RV10 cam, 2.25" exhaust/stock exhaust manifold and staying with the stock 1-bbl intake and Holley 1945? Can the compression bump be done with different pistons and no milling?

I completely rebuilt my 1964 225. The /6 guys on here were pretty much in agreement that an increase in compression gives the best bang for the buck so I did that. My engine machinist tried to talk me out of cutting the head but I insisted. I appeased him a bit by only going. O80 instead of the .100 I originally asked for. The overbore really isn't to gain more cubic inches but to restore good piston ring sealing. We're not building NHRA class racers here where every cube is needed. I scored the top of my bores with a new rented ridge reamer so they required .040 to clean up. Piston selection is limited fot the slants. I sent my cam to Oregon Cam and my lift is now in the .43-.44 range instead of the stock .375.
I'm very happy with the way it runs. I only wish I could've driven it when it was stock for a comparison.

The only pistons I could find...
Hughes Engines
Those pistons require the 198 length rod at 7.005 inches. Since this is for a 1980 slant, it has the cast crank, so you must make sure you get the correct rods, which are aftermarket only. The 198 rods will not work without narrowing the big end, to fit the crank. This is not a low buck deal. There are no readily available "off the shelf " high compression pistons for the slant. Best to just mill the head and/or deck, and use stock pistons, to get the compression you want.

-
Back