Would have been great if I'd wanted wrinkle black

-

Rice Nuker

Let the Coal Roll!
Reaction score
I sand blasted clean, SPI epoxied, waited an hour and painted these wheels with XO-Rust gloss black. Its friggin oil based it says. I did not have any good gloss black around and my rear end housing turned out great.

This on the other hand did not turn out great. Although I may have a solid process for a pretty good wrinkle.

Using my eastwood basic gravity gun with 1.8 tip. It usually sprays thicker stuff like primers very smoothly.

It was a cool night with high humidity.

It has rained since the painting so a bit of dust in the pictures.

The XO-Rust is a store brand which is supposedly comparable to rustoleum.

Anyway, get what I deserve really. The XO says not to thin. I will be thinning it about 15 - 20 % with laquer thinner next time. More likely I will be using single stage urethane gloss black for this stuff, over epoxy.

The rear end with the dust off is shiny and slick. I did thin the XO for the rear end by about 15 % (low voc laquer thinner). But, I decided to follow the directions correctly for the rims as I wanted them really slick. The stuff sprayed like glue and I proceeded anyway.

This is what happened. Wrinkle finish. I am just sharing. I know better than to use fence paint on automotive parts.

Attachments

• IMG_1801.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1800.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1802.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 210
I am not familiar with either of these products, but you got a bad chemical reaction I would say. Maybe the SPI wasn't completely dry when you top coated?
C

Well the spi recommends top coating after 30 minutes or so. But yes, it was epoxy primer with oil paint over top. The rear end turned out perfect, but it (the oil based paint) could fall off later I suppose.

-
Back