Would this cam work?

-

billytuffnuts

Reaction score
I have a stock 360 Magnum with headers, air gap intake, and a 650 cfm carb and I'm looking for a new roller cam for it. A guy on moparts has a cam for sale that I was interested in. Specs are below:

002.JPG

I'm just wondering if this is gonna work okay in my engine with the stock compression. I'll mostly be doing street driving with this and racing on the weekends. If I do decide to use it, I will definitely get the right valve springs and supporting hardware.

I'm also wondering about what kind of converter I'll need for it. I have a 2200-2800 ACC converter on the shelf and an unknown converter installed in my transmission currently (possibly a 3000).

I've got 3.23 gears out back, should I upgrade those as well? Going in a 72 Demon ~3400lbs with me in it 28" tire

Thanks.

I like it. It'll work with the gears and stock or slightly oversized tires. Uppng the gear ratio wold help in getting outta the hole. Tire size dependent is how high the gear can go.

Your 3grand converter sounds OK as well. The 22 - 28 is a big spread in terms of RPM. That cam is a 20 - 6000 ish rpm like type cam.

I like it. It'll work with the gears and stock or slightly oversized tires. Uppng the gear ratio wold help in getting outta the hole. Tire size dependent is how high the gear can go.

Your 3grand converter sounds OK as well. The 22 - 28 is a big spread in terms of RPM. That cam is a 20 - 6000 ish rpm like type cam.

What do you think would be an ideal converter speed?

I think a cam around the 230 at .050 duration range like that one needs about a 3000 stall with a 360

I agree. The thing about a stall converter is a tricky biz. More stall for a race car, less for a street striper, less for a mild rod, less for a grand-ma etc....

-
Back