Would you trust 13 year old tires?

-

Got2Gnow

Reaction score
I bought my car 13 years ago. It still wears the tires the previous owner had on it. I drive mostly surface streets (very rarely on the freeway) 45-50 mph maximum. I drive it less than 1,000 miles per summer. Tires "look" OK. What would you do?

Got to thinking about the tires on the Fury the other day while I was fitting g the rear carpet. Been driving about 1k miles a year for the last 12 years. Same tires I put on it when it hit the road. Got to looking at them and sure enough, even tho the car is garaged, they are starting to show signed of dry rot. It is past time for tires for both of us.....

I'm in the same boat....I have several sets of outdated tires that look new but over 10 years old.I give them to the landscape neighbor for his trailer and the one with a bass boat.He is just 3 miles from the water.Made their day..

You're not alone. Tires on mine still look new but their date code says 10 years. Like any other hobby, a freakin money pit.

Call me crazy.. But I have a set of 25yr old Goodyear GT II's on a 500 hp Corvette. They still look brand new, no dry rot and I still beat on em.

Today's tires are only good for five years ( except Michelin which are good for ten) and it is recommend that they be replaced after five years.
To me a tire is inexpensive compared to a blow out while driving.

If they look good, not all weather cracked, hold air fine, and your not going to go 100 mph, run 'em.

Did a burnout and slipped a set of belt on mine, but they were probably closer to 20 years old.

HELL NO!! I have a friend who is a mechanic and restores cars as well. He keeps numerous tires mounted on different wheels (chevy, ford, etc) ready at all times to move cars around in his shop. These mounted tires have gotten pretty old over the years because he works out of his house (over 20 years now) and can't afford to buy new tires just to have them sit around waiting to be used on another project.
At least once or twice a year he'll be working in his shop and one of these "spare tires" will simply blow up!! They are all between 5 and 15 years old. It's a crap shoot!!
As long as you use old tires to move your car in your yard or garage it's OK but if you're going 30-40 MPH be prepared to ruin a rim or have an accident because when they "blow" they blow!! Even 10 MPH would be alright but any faster than that is just asking for trouble. That's my opinion anyway.....

I guess it comes down to how much your car is worth????
Good Luck,
treblig

13, no
20, yes
(remember, they used to make things to last back then)

I run a set of N50s (who knows how old) on the back of my duster
daily driven, and I put 300-400 miles a week on that, at least 100 of those on the highway and probably another 200 at highway speeds ;)

Last sunday we were traveling to N.E.D.. Just as we arrived we blew the sidewall out of one of our trailer tires. tires were 4years old. Just starting to crack. Got new ones this week. Trailer tires get no respect. I think it's better to use a tire once it is mounted.

I have a original spare tire in my 1972 Dart. Never been used once. Still holds air & looks good. I'd use it if I had to.

:steering:

No, no and no. Started my automotive career in the tire biz. 6 years from the manufacturers date on the sidewall is considered the "expiration date" in general. I have seen catastrophic failures that'll give you goosebumps. Not only can they wreak havoc with your sheet metal, you can be killed!!!

My 02, just don't do it. There are some inexpensive options out there if you're just doing fair weather cruising.

Best,

CE

The point is, you are demanding other people on the road with you trust them too.

The point is, you are demanding other people on the road with you trust them too.
so true - you just never know who or what is coming at ya... or is near you for that matter.. I pulled into a store this morning -- in a hurry, kinda "wheeled it" some... walking into the store I notice this guy sitting in his car - I do a double take, it's a state cop - thankfully he was off duty!! but he did give me a "look"... DOH!!

Last edited:
Nope, not me, not worth it. Manufacturer recommendations range from 5 to 10 years depending on the manufacturer. Over 10 years and they're junk, "roller" use only for me, good for rolling in-progress cars around my shop and property but no street use.

I've got a handful of leftover rims with roller tires on them, and I've literally seen a few of them explode in my yard, just sitting there. Off the car, no loads, just blow a belt right out of the tire with a loud bang.

Anything over 10 years old for a tire and you're just rolling the dice. Rubber oxidizes and ages even if it's not being used. It's just not worth it.

newer tires would be worth piece of mind.

I think older tires are made better too.

I figure number of plys make a difference. I have old 10 ply tires on my gooseneck, I pull it.

I have some 13 inch tires on the Road Toad, NO it is not on road, just roll around yard ; t heir size is like 6.75 or like E70 .... so they are how many decades old?????? still hold air and roll ! HA

this tire was about 10 years old.. looked perfect....

dart blowout.jpg

sides, its not like we have many options...aint nobody around making N50-14s anymore

-
Back