Would you use this new SB water outlet?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
My concern is not with how tall/short or big/small the outlet on the right is in the foto. I am wondering about the bevel on the very tip, which makes it fine for installing the hose, but without that "rib/ring" on the very edge, I am picturing the hose slipping off at the worst possible time.

DSC03919.JPG

I too bought one of those.I said "Huh". Took a die grinder and cut a few rings in it for the hose to grab. Works for me.

Put a thin coat of "Indian Head Shellac" on it. It wont slip off. I dont think it would even without it. The cooling system has less than 20 psi on it, not much pressure.

I have never seen a hose come off easy after it has been on a while. Install the clamp near the end of the nipple. That gives more rubber hose area contact which isn't internally pressurized and thus gives more grip. The section that sees pressure gets pushed away from the surface and lubricated.

I seen one of those with a chrome finish, slip the clamp and blow.

Contact cement. Gasket adhesive.
It works well.

I'll have to disagree. If that is the case, why would 99% of them have a barb. There is nothing harder ( to my knowledge) to seal than steam. If the system sees excess pressure for any reason, it will find the weak link.

IMO if you have a nice new smooth hose and and a new smooth fitting just clean them both well (they will "stick" to each other) and use a nice new clamp that provides close to 100% radial clamping force and you should be fine, I have joined hoses to make a custom shape and not had issues.

I'd like to mention all the rubber air lines that have well over 100 psi, that have non-barbed pieces of steel tubes as a repair, that last for years till the clamp loosens, or the hose deteriorates.. - clamp the two clean sufaces, and forget it.

I'll have to disagree. If that is the case, why would 99% of them have a barb. There is nothing harder ( to my knowledge) to seal than steam. If the system sees excess pressure for any reason, it will find the weak link.
The cap is actually a pressure release valve, and on cars it is usually set to 15 psi. - that is a very low psi #. - - so some food for thought - - even if you have a cap that allows twice the typical pressure relief - there is no way a properly installed hose and clamp won't hold back 30 psi. - barb or not. I won't say this as a "it IS this" but it seems to me the barb is simply a tool or point of reference, it sure makes it easier to see or feel where the clamp needs to go and it undoubtedly adds to the sealing capability of the piece, but I don't think it's the defining factor in sealing the system.

It should be fine the way it is, but if you are really worried. Put it in a vise and hit it with a center punch in about a dozen places. Or ruff up the surface on a belt sander.

-
Back